Using PayPal Pro UK for CC payments - No 3DS secure support in Shopify to meet the EU's PSD2 regs?

Solved
Explorer
46 0 21

Email from Shopify today:

To be compliant you must:

1. Sign up for Cardinal, a 3DS provider that integrates with payment providers.
  2. Once your Cardinal account is ready, you will be prompted within your Shopify admin in Settings > Payments that Cardinal is available to connect.

From Cardinal today.

Nitsa,

I wanted to take this opportunity to give you an update on where we are with providing 3DS for PayPal Pro merchants:  Cardinal’s integration has not successfully integrated any shopping cart that has run a EMV 3DS 2.1 transaction which is required for PSD2.   For this reason, we are sending all PayPal Pro merchants back to PayPal for integration on their hosted solution called PayPal Complete Payments. 

Please note our integration only supports 3DS 1.0 which isn’t compliant for PSD2.  We have elected to respect your development time and notify you of this as you have emailed for support.   We are working with PayPal to address communication confusion

You couldn't make this up if you were trying:-)

0 Likes
1 0 0

I wanted to take this opportunity to give you an update on where we are with providing 3DS for PayPal Pro merchants: Cardinal’s integration has not successfully integrated any shopping cart that has run a EMV 3DS 2.1 transaction which is required for PSD2. For this reason, we are sending all PayPal Pro merchants back to PayPal for integration on their hosted solution called PayPal Complete Payments.

Please note our integration only supports 3DS 1.0 which isn’t compliant for PSD2. We have elected to respect your development time and notify you of this as you have emailed for support. We are working with PayPal to address communication confusion

This is the exact message I received.  So, Shopify is telling us to use Cardinal Commerce, and Cardinal is saying they don't have the integration.  Has anyone found a solution?

0 Likes
2 0 0

Same reply for me today from Cardinal. No one at PayPal seems to have a clue what’s going on. Spoke to a guy the other day who sent me to a webpage and pretty much told me to get on with it myself and have a read!!! I’ve changed the payment settings from Payflow Pro to Website Payments Pro that’s all fine but I can’t fill in the Cardinal credentials.

what do PayPal expect us to do in 3 weeks when European payments start declining? I can’t use other providers either due to industry and it was like pulling teeth to get PayPal to accept us!

0 Likes
Explorer
46 0 21

I have a pretty good relationship with PayPal and they are keeping me informed and any information I get I will post here. It might not be a happy outcome, who knows. Anything that gets between the customer and payment leads to abandoned carts, a lot of 3DS challenges fail, 3DS 2.0 or PDS2, even when it is working could be a problem. I think also that if you're in an industry where fraud levels are high then more transactions will be challenged and more will fail. The clock is definitely ticking on this one....

0 Likes
Explorer
49 1 32

I have my Cardinal Credentials to use for PayPal Website Payments Pro (UK). Cardinal gave me them back in October 2019.

I emailed cardinal about 2 months ago to check if these credentials are still applicable and ok to activate in my Shopify, when I want to do so.

Cardinal’s response was positive.

Im based in the UK and I’m using the PayPal Website Payments Pro (UK) gateway in Shopify.

Where are you guys based and which PayPal gateway are you using within Shopify?

0 Likes
Explorer
46 0 21

Same as you, based in the UK and using PayPal Website Payments Pro. Note also from the Cardinal reply, "For this reason, we are sending all PayPal Pro merchants back to PayPal for integration on their hosted solution called PayPal Complete Payments." Unfortunately, this is where it gets worse. PayPal called me yesterday to say this is not working with Shopify but that they are working with them to find a solution. It would be easy to blame Shopify for this but note also Cardinal stating that they have not successfully integrated ANY shopping cart that has run a EMV 3DS 2.1 transaction which is required for PSD2. It's a watch and wait game at present.

0 Likes
Explorer
49 1 32

Thanks Nitsa,

Yeah I wish we could just PayPal Complete Payments, I've been wanting that to happen for a while now, but Shopify will no doubt stop it occurring so they can promote their Shopify Payments service. Problem is that not all of us can use Shopify Payments due to industry restrictions in place by Stripe.

Come on Shopify, sort it out and allow more PayPal integration such as proper 'PayPal Smart Payments buttons' or PayPal Complete Payments.

I activated my Cardinal credentials back in October 2019 and a UK repeat customer of mine went to checkout with another order and it did some authentication decline. So I was of course not happy about this and immediately deactivated the Cardinal credentials, then said repeat customer came back an hour later and placed hi order just fine. From that day I couldn't trust that this PSD2 thing was working as yet. So since then, I've never tried activating the Cardinal credentials again.

Thanks for keep us updated Nitsa, it's highly appreciated and closely followed by us all on here.

0 Likes
2 0 0

In the uk also, using Website Payments Pro. Cardinal wouldn’t give me the credentials Just gave me that bog standard reply. How did you get the credentials out of them? Are they in the credentials we got at sign up, just with another name per chance?!

0 Likes
Explorer
49 1 32

I originally signed up with Cardinal when they were still in their development stages, back in I think April/May 2019. The required credentials for Shopify were not in the sign-up package that I got from Cardinal. At that point Cardinal didn't have anything fully in place.

They then issued me with the credentials for Shopify in October 2019 after I contacted them.

So I went ahead and implemented them in Shopify, and the authorisation declines began, so as mentioned, I immediately deactivated them and have not tried them again since October 2019, as I can't afford to be having them sort of declines happen.

My thinking was that because it was early in the stages of implementation, there would be some teething problems that would eventually get ironed out so when it comes to September 2021 I can just reactivate the credentials in Shopify and hey presto I'm all good as regards PSD2.

But from what you guys are saying with respect to the response you are all getting from Cardinal, I'm of course now thinking that the credentials that I have might be completely useless.

This is a shambles. We've got Shopify emailing us all of the time, do this and do that to get PSD2 compliant, but then the providers of our services, be it Shopify, PayPal or Cardinal, can't seem to come up with a good solution.

I'd be happy just to have 'PayPal Smart Payments Buttons' as an option within the available Shopify payment gateways, and forget about Website Payments Pro altogether. But no, the only other option is that crumby PayPal express button that Shopify call "dynamic".

0 Likes
Explorer
46 0 21

Teekay,

"I'd be happy just to have 'PayPal Smart Payments Buttons' as an option within the available Shopify payment gateways, and forget about Website Payments Pro altogether. But no, the only other option is that crumby PayPal express button that Shopify call "dynamic"."

Is that the case? There are a couple of links on the forum which suggests it is doable. And a lot more posts and videos on Google under this search term "paypal smart payment buttons shopify" also this link https://elfsight.com/paypal-button-widget-generator/shopify/

Don't know how far you have looked into it so you may know more.

0 Likes