Using PayPal Pro UK for CC payments - No 3DS secure support in Shopify to meet the EU's PSD2 regs?

Excursionist
32 0 6

Yep I’m looking at the alternatives as we speak due to this complete lack of ability for me to comply with PSD2, all thanks to Shopify’s checkout limitations.

In your case, it’s worth mentioning that having Stripe does not mean you cannot have 'PayPal Express' too. 'PayPal Express' is one of only a couple of payment options in which Shopify allows merchants to have activated in addition to another payment 'primary' gateway.

Therefore if you used Stripe (this is of course assuming that Shopify Payments is available in your country of location) then you would be able to keep your PayPal Express option fully running, whilst also accepting cards with 3D-secure, not to mention ApplePay too. You would actually be at an advantage compared to using PayPal Website Payments Pro.

If I had that option I would do it in a heartbeat.

0 Likes
1 0 0

I have the same problem there. I can't use shopify payment due to my industry but my provider (paymentsense) isn't 3D secured recognised with Shopify ... What am I suppose to do then? 

It took me days to understand why when 3d secure is on and payment sense claimed to me that I am secured, on another hand, it doesn't seem to be the case .. 

I had already a fraud and absolutely no idea on how to fix that ... 

I am quite surprised to see also that Shopify isn't prepared for the new law in September. Anyway, on the meantime I am not protected. 

0 Likes
1 0 0

Hi TeeKay, would you mind telling me how you integrated PayPal Website Payments Pro (UK) with your store? I am trying to set this up but can only see the option for PayPal Payflow Pro.

0 Likes
Excursionist
32 0 6

Hello Freddie

0 Likes
Excursionist
32 0 6

Hi Freddie,

You need to use the 'PayPal Payflow Pro' option as you mentioned.

Shopify no longer list it as 'PayPal Website Payments Pro (UK)', they used to in years past, however now it's just named 'PayPal Payflow Pro'. Don't ask me why.

Then all you need to do is to generate Payflow API Access credentials in your PayPal account and enter those into the necessary fields within the Shopify admin for the 'PayPal Payflow Pro' payment method. Check the tick boxes of which cards types you will accept (I believe only really Visa and MasterCard work unhindered for us UK based merchants anyway) and check the tick box on the 'PayPal Express' method too - assuming of course that you wish to accept payments via 'PayPal Express' alongside your card payments.

You're all done!

0 Likes
1 0 0

Hi Nick - hope all well?

Building on your email from Jan 2019, as it is July next week, please can you update all re Shopify's solution for PSD2, as we have a couple of new Shopify builds underway and my clients are asking what is what re PSD2.  

Many thanks for your time in advance here.  Kind regards 

0 Likes
Excursionist
32 0 6

As far as I am aware, nothing has yet been rolled out to merchants as yet, but PayPal and Cardinal Commerce are apparently working on the 3DS app/plugin connector between Shopify's checkout and PayPal PayFlow Pro.

For the past 6 months I've been told repeatedly that this app/plugin will be completed and released well before the September 14th deadline.

As per PayPal - there's nothing to worry about and the Cardinal Commerce connector will be ready shortly.

Therefore I am trying to do just that, and not worry too much :) --- albeit with only 40 days left before PSD2 is instated across the EU, I cannot help but feel a touch anxious.

Anyone else got something to add to this?

0 Likes
Excursionist
25 0 12

Let's be clear about one thing, the lack of progress is not due to technical issues, after all every other e-commerce platform on the planet is already PSD2 compliant. I know from the conversation I had some time back with Cardinal who are implementing this for e-commerce platforms the fact that Shopify keep their checkout "locked down" is the big factor here, chances that this ends up like the MailChimp fiasco on shopify a few months ago is actually very high. Certainly the last email I had from them was no longer a clear-cut statement, in fact it was quite the opposite.

"To stay on your current gateway, we will be providing additional steps in the coming weeks with the gateways that meet the integration standards Shopify has determined necessary to comply."

Read that very carefully and I would not be surprised to receive another email that says something like "unfortunately shopify has determined that PayPal does not meet its integration standards etc"

Totally fed up with them anyway for a whole host of reasons and now getting ready to roll with Woo commerce.

I wish you luck!

1 Like
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
4 0 3

Merchants using Shopify Payments, Stripe, or PayPal Express are automatically compliant with PSD2.

Merchants using a third party gateway may be asked to sign up for Cardinal Commerce, a third party 3D Secure provider. You can add your Cardinal credentials in the Shopify Admin under Settings > Payment Provider > Manage. If you do not have credentials yet, you can fill out the application form that is also linked in the same admin section.

Merchants using PayPal Payflow Pro may not see an option to add their Cardinal credentials. In this case you should disable PayPal Payflow Pro and enable PayPal Website Payments Pro (UK) using the same Payflow Pro credentials. You will then see the Cardinal option.

If there is no option to integrate with Cardinal, then reach out to your payment gateway and ask if they are PSD2 compliant and working with Shopify. If not, then we recommend choosing an alternative gateway that is compliant.

1 Like
Excursionist
32 0 6

Hello AidanG

Thank you for the information.

Can you confirm with 100% certainty (i.e. before I start disconnecting PayPal PayFlow Pro) that PayPal Website Payments Pro (UK) is an option for payment gateways?

I remember when I looked about a year and a half ago in the gateways list in my admin 'Payment providers' settings, it was no longer offered, and in fact Shopify said it was no longer available and it's not on this list either for that matter: https://www.shopify.co.uk/payment-gateways/united-kingdom

So please can you confirm (again with 100% certainty) that "PayPal Website Payments Pro (UK)" is actually a selectable option? (i.e. that essentially it has now become available once again)

Thank you

0 Likes