VAT Reducing Ireland

Diana_g
Tourist
3 0 4

Hi there,

We run a Shopify store based in Ireland. The Irish VAT @23% was reduced to VAT @21%.

The new Tax Registration Feature calculates VAT wrong. It still applies VAT @23% to orders.

Please, anyone, help here as we may get in trouble!!!

Diana

0 Likes
Nick
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
3526 282 676

Hi @Diana_g ,

Nick here from Shopify. Great question!

I am also based in Ireland and have a store so thought the same as yourself. From experience and double-checking with the tax team, for me, I needed to add the Irish VAT number to start charging VAT and then in my tax settings click on European Union and set it up. The tax team updated it on the day it changed which was September 1st. Could you double-check your tax settings (Settings > Taxes > Tax Regions) are set to collect taxes (VAT) and let me know? If they are and this is still persisting, please let me know in a reply here. 

Shopify also has a helpful guide for setting up taxes for EU stores which you might find useful that you can read here

Cheers, Nick

Nick | Community Moderator @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Diana_g
Tourist
3 0 4

Hi Nick,

thank you so much for your input.

Done as suggested and looks like all ok now. It took them around 24 hours to fix it and I had to disable collect VAT at first, save the changes and then go back again to collecting VAT.

Closed the store for the day... lots of caffeine and on a maintenance mode

Thank you once again,

Diana

Nick
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
3526 282 676

Anytime, glad to help and that it's all working for you now. Sometimes it can just take some time! 

Nick | Community Moderator @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes