Do I need a VAT number to sell in the US from Ireland?

Albdrawy
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi,

I'm completing my first Shopify store with the intention of going Live in the next 2 weeks.

I live in Ireland and my intention at the moment is to sell only to the US. Do I need a VAT number?

My understanding is that a VAT number is only required when you sell products to Europe. However, my Shopify account shows the following warning:

"Your store address is in Ireland, which uses Value Added Tax (VAT). If you have a VAT number for your business, you can enter it on your billing settings page in Shopify"

To have a VAT number I would need to have a business. My intention is to not register as a business until I see some profit.

Another question related to taxes. My product's page show the following disclaimer under the price: "Tax included. Shipping calculated at checkout." I understand that selling to the US I should not charge taxes (as I have no physical presence there). Is there a way to remove this text? Or is this only possible touching the code?

Thanks

Reply 1 (1)

Sufio
Shopify Partner
182 2 58

Hi @Albdrawy,

When it comes to registering for a VAT number, you are correct. 

You need to register for VAT once your annual turnover (total sales) is above a certain threshold (usually around €35,000 in some EU countries and €100,000 in others). In case you'd like to read more information regarding VAT in the EU, have a look at our VAT guide for Shopify stores!

Have a nice day and good luck with your business! 🙂

- Lenka from Sufio