Very long delivery time on Aliexpress

Highlighted
Tourist
22 0 3

I currently have two Shopify stores of shoes that work for the Colombian market mainly, since about 4 months ago. Although the start has been very hard and slow I want to keep them a little longer but I have found a very big obstacle that has prevented me from making more sales: Delivery time. All the orders that I have made (about 5) take more than 30 days to arrive. It is very difficult for customers to wait so long to receive your order when there are many other commercial portals (Mercadolibre and Linio are two of them and perhaps the most important in Colombia) that only take between 2 and 5 days to deliver their orders.

What can we do to reduce the shipping time by "China post registered air mail" and improve our business? I believe that there are many shopify dealers who are also suffering from the same. How are other merchants from Colombia, Mexico or other Latin American countries doing?

How long does it take for an order to arrive to a North American city?

If Amazon delivers orders in Colombia in 3-5 days and the products come from China, why can not we do the same?

What other shipping methods are there that are not as expensive as the EMS or DHL, which triples the value of the product?

Thanks so much

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
33 0 8

Hi there German,

My name is Evan, I’m a Guru here with Shopify.

Delivery time can definitely be a hindrance when using Aliexpress and other dropshippers far away, so you’re not alone in that. In North America merchants face similar shipping times with China Post. China Post is also one of the slower carriers, albeit cheaper than DHL, like you mentioned. One option for you here is to take a look at epacket EPacket tends to be faster than China Post, and cheaper than DHL. While it won’t put your shipping down to 2-3 days, if tends to ship around 7-16 days. Which will make a large difference to your customers.

Factoring in Shipping times is actually something of a strategy. You’ll see multiple products on Aliexpress that appear the exact same. However, the shipping times and cost will vary slightly. It’s a good idea to choose suppliers who are able to ship with epacket or other cheaper, faster  services. Verified Oberlo Suppliersare a great place to start for that. They have faster shipping times, better support and proven performance!

Amazon is a very different business model than AliExpress and your business. Amazon owns a network of warehouses all over the world, and stores the products that they’re going to ship. By distributing massive amounts of inventory all over the world, Amazon is able to ship a product in 3 days. This may be an option for you down the line if you choose to buy your products in bulk. Amazon can actually store and fulfill your products however that wouldn’t be dropshipping and would require purchasing inventory. It also may be worth looking into other dropshippers closer to your business. There may be some suppliers near you that are able to cater better to your business!

If you have any other questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to let me know! I'll be more than happy to help!

Evan | Shopify Guru

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
33 0 8

Hi there German,

My name is Evan, I’m a Guru here with Shopify.

Delivery time can definitely be a hindrance when using Aliexpress and other dropshippers far away, so you’re not alone in that. In North America merchants face similar shipping times with China Post. China Post is also one of the slower carriers, albeit cheaper than DHL, like you mentioned. One option for you here is to take a look at epacket. EPacket tends to be faster than China Post, and cheaper than DHL. While it won’t put your shipping down to 2-3 days, if tends to ship around 7-16 days. Which will make a large difference to your customers. 

Factoring in Shipping times is actually something of a strategy. You’ll see multiple products on Aliexpress that appear the exact same. However, the shipping times and cost will vary slightly. It’s a good idea to choose suppliers who are able to ship with epacket or other cheaper, faster services. Verified Oberlo Suppliers are a great place to start for that. They have faster shipping times, better support and proven performance!

Amazon is a very different business model than AliExpress and your business. Amazon owns a network of warehouses all over the world, and stores the products that they’re going to ship. By distributing massive amounts of inventory all over the world, Amazon is able to ship a product in 3 days. This may be an option for you down the line if you choose to buy your products in bulk. Amazon can actually store and fulfill your products however that wouldn’t be dropshipping and would require purchasing inventory. It also may be worth looking into other dropshippers closer to your business. There may be some suppliers near you that are able to cater better to your business!

If you have any other questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to let me know! I'll be more than happy to help!

Evan | Shopify Guru

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0
Hello,

I am located in the US and my customer are as well and I am experiencing the same problem. I am picking suppliers with epacket and I still takes too long for shipping. It is taking about 4 weeks. I just opened my store and I fear this will be an ongoing problem. I need 7-10 day arrival time. How do I do that with oberlo and AliExpress?
0 Likes
Highlighted

Hi German_Arango_L, 

With a dropshipping based business, there are a few things you can do to improve your customers' experience with the longer shipping times, especially when sourced from AliBaba or AliExpress:

1) Search around on AliExpress for different sellers providing the same item, but with faster shipping times to your location.  In this case, the AliExpress seller is likely pre-purchasing inventory from a manufacturer on AliBaba and then storing that inventory at a more convenient location.  If you make the extra effort to source your products from these sellers, you can greatly reduce the shipping times to your customers.

2) Be very clear on your site about the expected shipping times for the various items you sell.  If you're providing the item for well below local cost, you can highlight that this extra shipping delay is part of how you are able to provide such a good price

3) Let your customers know where they can track their orders so they can satisfy themselves that progress is being made, or contact you if they notice any problems.  For example, in this topic, China Post and ePacket have been mentioned and your customers can track the Chine Post orders here: China Post Tracking and Contact Info and ePacket (aka China EMS) orders here: China EMS / ePacket Tracking and Contact Info 

0 Likes