Weight Based Shipping Calculation

Highlighted
2 0 0
Hello,

I am confused on the weight based shipping. My store is calculating the final shipping amount per item, not total weight of the order.

I have it set up like this:

Products weight between 1-3 lbs.
0-1.9 lb = $4 shipping
2-2.9 = $6 shipping
3-3.9 = $8 shipping
4+ = $10 shipping

It is not calculating as I would have expected. Right now, if I add 2 x 1lb items, it charges $8 or $4 for each lb not the 2lb, $6 shipping I would have expected it to calculate.

I’m basically looking to add a few dollars the higher weight when the OVERALL Order becomes higher. Any fixes?
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
469 58 118

Hey, @TheDriftingSoul!

My name is Lizzy. I'm one of the Gurus on the support team at Shopify. Thank you for sharing that screenshot. This may be coming from your overall shipping structure. How are you currently organizing your products and shipping rates?

Do you know if you're using our Shipping Profiles features at all?

If you have just one shipping profile set up, when products are ordered, their weight will be combined, along with your default package weight, to decide the rates that are shown.

Where you may be seeing a stacking of rates is if you have multiple shipping profiles. You can check this under Settings>Shipping. If you have multiple profiles set up, Shopify treats this like a "per product" shipping rate. The idea is that if you have certain products which would cost a different amount to ship to others, you can set up profiles to charge customers accurately. This is why you'll see those rates added up separately, instead of the weight being combined.

Let me know if adjusting your shipping profiles helps to get the rates looking correct!

Thank you,
Lizzy

Lizzy | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted

Hey @TheDriftingSoul ,

To expand on @Lizzy's comment, even if you are using 1 Shopify shipping profile, shipping rates can "stack" like this if your products are based in more than 1 location. 

Warm regards,
Sharon 

Co-Founder / CEO @ Intuitive Shipping
Execute a strategic approach to shipping | Intuitive Shipping | Automate Shipping Profiles
0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0
Ah. This might be what’s happening. We dropship and the products are from multiple providers. Is it possible to change the locations on products and not screw up connection with the apps/providers?
0 Likes
Highlighted

Hey @TheDriftingSoul ,

Yep! If you're only using dropshippers to fulfill your orders, you can go ahead and remove their locations. In your case, what you want is for Shopify to "talk" to your fulfillment providers (dropshippers), so you will want to assign those in Settings > Shipping > Accounts & Integrations > Add Fulfillment Service. When you do this, your dropshipper will be automatically pinged when an order goes through your store that they have to fulfill (ship). 

The purpose of locations is for merchants who have multiple warehouses they fulfill with and if they keep track of their own inventory.  I.e. Blue Dress is stored at both your West Coast warehouse and your East Coast warehouse. If a customer from California orders the Blue Dress, it will come from the West Coast warehouse (since it will be faster and cheaper to ship) and the inventory will be deducted from the West Coast warehouse to maintain accurate inventory counts. 

I hope this helps explain it a bit :) 

Warm regards,

Sharon 

Co-Founder / CEO @ Intuitive Shipping
Execute a strategic approach to shipping | Intuitive Shipping | Automate Shipping Profiles
0 Likes