What Payment Provider Should I Use?

3 0 0

Hi Shopify!

We are looking to use a payment gateway to checkout customers for our CBD website. Does anyone know any good gateways that provide service to companies selling CBD (including vapes & vape accessories). 

I have tried EMB but they do not accept companies that sell vape or vape accessories (I have seen other companies on shopify selling these so I know it is possible, I just don't know what provider to use).

Thanks!

Nick

0 Likes
Community Manager
Community Manager
2283 154 318

Hi Nick, 

Nick here from Shopify. 

First of all, cool name. 🙂 Secondly, can I ask what country your store is based in, please? Shopify is partnered with different payment gateways for each country and there is a list of all the gateways for each country. Once we know what country you are based out of, I can share with you the web page with the payment gateways you can look into using. 

Something to note is that each gateway is different, and while some would allow you to sell certain items others won't, so once you know which ones you can use, it's best to do some research and find the gateway which best fits you and your business. 

Looking forward to hearing from you. 

All the best, Nick

Nick | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Excursionist
25 0 4

Hi - I think you are probably confusing the gateway with the processor. I sent an email to you via your website - I can probably help you out.

0 Likes
Tourist
2 0 2

Hello,

I have the same problem and my shop is based in United Kingdom. Can someone help me? 

2 Likes
Community Manager
Community Manager
2283 154 318
I have the same problem and my shop is based in United Kingdom. Can someone help me? 

Hi @ilteomarchesini,

Nick here from Shopify. 

You can see all the payment gateways Shopify is partnered with in the UK from here. Each payment gateway is different and has different rules and regulations, because of this, some might allow certain products such as vapes and vape accessories, while some might not. Your best bet would be to research and reach out to the gateways you like to see if they allow you to sell what you want and take it from there. 

Hope this helps!

All the best, Nick

1 Like
Shopify Partner
5 0 0

Hey Nick,

Hope all is well! I am a US-based credit card processor and we work with companies just like yours! If you still need a payment processor let me know: austin@payhubpayments.com.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

0 Likes
4 0 0

Hi @cbdsamurai this is something we can help you with. We offer payment gateway solutions for Shopify. You can find out more and apply for a payment gateway here.

0 Likes
Excursionist
22 1 4

JULY 7, 2019 | STATUS UPDATE

Thousands of CBD sellers are frustrated beyond words in their efforts to find CBD-friendly credit card processing that complies with Shopify's Payments Policy.  What many of these CBD don't understand is that Shopify is not the problem, the banks are not the problem and neither are the ISOs/MSPs.

Back on May 15, 2019, Visa Corporation stop letting CBD transactions pass through their network. This is why it has taken so long for the handful of CBD-friendly banks, ISOs & MSPs to activate CBD merchant accounts for the thousands who are eager keep their business afloat. At this present date, Visa has not yet taken their foot off the brake.

Here are a few reference sources dealing with this issue.

Until Visa Corporation changes their policy (which it appears may happen sometime in August) you’ll have to use legal and yet creative strategies to let your customers make payment.

It doesn’t make any difference what a sales representative from a credit card processing company told you or promised you, Visa will not take their foot off the brakes until they decide to do so.

Here are a few payment acceptance solutions that are working for CBD sellers using Shopify and these solutions will not get your website shut down nor funds "frozen";

1. Blockchain network technology companies have launched CBD-friendly merchant accounts bundled with a payment gateway that supports Visa and MasterCard (no AMEX and Discover Card at this time). Using the Blockchain network to accept Visa and Mastercard is working wonderfully. Your customer enjoys a seamless checkout experience and the seller benefits from instant settlement of funds within milliseconds. No companies mentioned. Do your homework.
  2. FP’s high risk payment gateway supports MasterCard and Discover Card. It works great. Keep in mind that Visa is not allowing CBD transactions at this time, so your customers must pay with either MasterCard or Discover. It’s possible that Visa card acceptance may be restored by early or mid-August. We’ll have to wait and see.
  3. Peer-to-peer payment processing solutions are working very well and can be integrated into Shopify if you have the technical know-how. Some of the most popular peer-to-peer payment acceptance solutions are; Apple Pay, Google Pay, Venmo, Zelle and there are others. These tools give your customers the ability pay using any major credit card, debit card and bank-to-bank ACH transfer.

Most of these P2P solutions can be integrated into your Shopify Checkout page in a manner that does not violate Shopify’s Payment Policy. So, there you have it. Until Visa takes its foot off the brakes and H.R. 1595 is passed by Congress, you had better get creative, roll with the punches, adapt and improvise.

Happy Selling,

Kevin James

Shopify Approved Developer

API Coder/eCommerce Expert

Kevin James
Expert Web Developer & Shopify Partner
0 Likes
Tourist
5 0 1

Hi Nick

I have only just discovered that my completed CBD website in the UK on Wix does not allow cbd selling!  Shopify was recommended but I keep hearing horror stories about the online stores being closed down, even with an alternative payment provider?  As a great deal of time and money went into the last website, can you please clarify if I go for a shopify store and use for example Viva Wallet for a payment gateway, that this will work?

Thanks very much in advance!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager
2283 154 318

Hi @shelleyb,

Something to always remember is that you can't sell anything on Shopify if it is illegal in the country you are based in. For Shopify Payments, you can see in the Shopify Payments Terms and Services here in section B, what is allowed to be sold via Shopify Payments. 

Regarding any other gateways, your best bet is to reach out to the gateways you'd like to work with in the UK to see if this is a product which they would allow. Shopify wouldn't have any control over what the gateways allow as it is up to them. You can see the gateways which Shopify is partnered with in the UK from here. But because CBD isn't fully legal in the UK yet, it might still propose some problems for you being able to sell it from a UK based store. 

0 Likes