What is the point of Reserve Items on a Draft order?

media_by_bec
Excursionist
30 1 8

This would be handy, seems silly to reserve the item and not have it be removed off the inventory, since it says it will be "automatically restocked" at the particular time and date! Anyone know a Shopify expert partner they can tag?

migolondrina
2 0 4

I would like an update on this as well.

NickNapalm
2 0 12

Yes, Shopify. For REAL. This is completely obtuse and absurd. I ran into oversell issues of my own today for this very reason. What on EARTH is the point of having a "Reserve Items" feature on draft invoicing when it doesn't actually deduct the stock from inventory? Like a couple others had mentioned in this thread previously, the shop will instead pretend like the item is in stock on the product page, but then display a "SOLD OUT" error during checkout.

Earlier today, I had 4 or 5 customers get in touch with me about this problem and I ended up manually invoicing them for the technically "out-of-stock" items, which the store let me sell because quantity was still showing from what turned out to be "reserved" inventory. Now, I'm oversold on two products and it's very frustrating to have to contact customers and tell them that I don't have what they wanted after they have already paid. Again, what the heck is the point of having this feature at all when it doesn't actually deduct from inventory? This is beyond frustrating, guys.

sunams
Tourist
3 0 7

I need to chime in here as I have the same question, and would love to hear Shopify's handling of this. I very much need the ability to have an item be removed from inventory when 'reserve item' is selected for a draft order.

greiseve
Explorer
54 1 29

HELLO SHOPIFY DEVELOPMENT TEAM!

DO YOU READ THIS AT ALL?

ANYONE OUT THERE?

THIS IS DIRECT CUSTOMER FEEDBACK... YOU DIDN'T EVEN HAVE TO SOLICIT IT... GRANTED, NOT A PROBLEM WITH 1000's OF LIKES... BUT SOME REACTION WOULD BE AWESOME... ACKNOWLEDGEMENT, TREAT US WITH SOME DIGNITY!!!

Matt_Goodwin
Excursionist
40 0 31

Pleassee help us address this!  If a customer checks out from the cart the inventory is automatically adjusted for the item and they are allowed to check out.  If the customer uses a checkout url from a draft order to enter checkout then they see the same "Inventory Issues" warning but are not given the option to continue checkout with the lowered inventory level.

This is causing merchants running our app to lose sales and their customers are getting frustrated.  Can Shopify at least apply the same logic to draft order checkouts as regular checkouts?

Nikki-D
2 0 8

This doesn't address why this thread has been ignored for years by Shopify, and as you can see on the thread you linked to, the Shopify response hasn't really solved the issue in a way that suits either retailers or customers. We still need a system for holding inventory that actually, you know, holds the inventory.

JoelNZ
Excursionist
9 0 2

SOLUTION? or at least step in the right direction:

1: Create the draft order for the customer.

2: Do not hit "email invoice".

3: Instead hit "mark as pending". Popup> choose "other" payment method, hit "create order".

- Your shop will send an email to the customer thanking them for their "purchase". Perhaps update this email format to say the correct thing such as "order".

- Your shop takes that item(s) out of inventory. So it cannot be accidentally purchased by someone else, and negates the bollocks of a customer getting to checkout to realise something is out of stock.

4: If you want them to pay remotely from their location,  hit "collect payment".

- Choose "send invoice" and it will send an email inviting them to pay for the order by any usual means on your checkout.

- Or if they call you to pay over the phone, choose "pay by c card" using their credit card.

5: If the customer then comes into store,

- It seems that the order is NOT available for credit card payment on either the POS app or the shopify app on mobile. Which is shit.

- It is possible to bring up the order on your usual shopify admin, hit "collect payment" and put a credit card through, same as phone method.

Cheers

Joel

ELOU
2 0 0

You are a genius! Thanks. This helped me today!

0 Likes