What is the point of Reserve Items on a Draft order?

Highlighted
1 0 3

The Reserve Items function needs to decrement the inventory on tracked products. What is the point of it otherwise?

Draft orders has all the functionality needed to flow wholesale orders through, EXCEPT the ability to hold products. Say, for a NET30 wholesale customer. The have the product, and will pay for the product, but there is no ability to reflect that in the inventory set up.

Any ideas? So frustrated with this. Inventory is the whole reason I went with a POS shopify system, but I'm still stuck manually managing inventory and keeping wholesale inventory separate. 

3 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
5 0 4

I'd like to know or find an answer to this topic as well.  I'm still manually deducting inventory for customers who prefer to send payment by check so they're products don't sell out while their payment is in the mail.  Is this feature still under development?

2 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
19 2 10

Did you ever figure this out?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
8 0 9

I'd like to bring this to the attention of Shopify support again. In my two years of using Shopify, I'm yet to come across a reason to "reserve" an item without the need to actually adjust the inventory tracking accordingly. I have various reasons to reserve items and they all require taking them out of inventory so that customers don't try to buy an item that I don't have in stock at the moment. So, I'd like to request that Shopify alter this function, as I've seen numerous conversations in favor of. 

7 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 2

We have several wholesale customers that we create draft orders for, yet Shopify does not visibly take those items added to the draft order out of inventory. After doing some testing, I realized that a customer can't ultimately buy an out of stock item from our online store, but instead of showing it "out of stock" on the product page, the customer is able to add the product to their cart and go all the way through to the checkout before the system shows the item is unavailable. Why won't Shopify address this issue? Once something is placed on a draft order, it should be deleted from inventory (or there should at least be the ability to turn on that functionality). At the very least, even if it didn't decrease the amount in inventory, the customer should see that the product is out of stock on the product page. Please, Shopify...there are several threads on this subject that are many years old, yet I have not seen any comments or explanation from you on why this can't be fixed. Please address! Thank you!

2 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
38 1 11

any update to this? it seems pointless to reserve if it doesn't decimate the inventory!

2 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
8 0 9
Unfortunately, not that I’m aware of.
1 Like
Highlighted
Excursionist
38 1 11
I would like to see if other people have the same issue.

Not everyone can afford to have the Shopify Enterprise solution that enables Wholesale. Perhaps the accurate inventory functionality is reserved for those accounts but it doesn’t negate the fact that even smaller online retailers need to have an accurate at a glance overview of their inventory. We use a lot of draft orders and they all convert to orders at some point but really make our planning and forecasting process hard if not impossible.
2 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
9 0 6

Just one of a number of small functional bugs that never seem to be addressed by Shopify. They need to have a dedicated team looking at this sort of stuff to ensure that they provide the excellent product they aspire to provide. Unfortunately it's a growing list and developments seem few and far between.

2 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 3

Also would like some support from Shopify on this one. I assumed it actually reserved the stock by removing it from inventory but discovered it didn't when I accidentally oversold items I couldn't get back in stock, which is a hassle for me and my customers. 

Ridiculous that this thread has been left hanging since 2018 now with not a peep from Shopify.

3 Likes