What other payment options are available apart from shopify list?

Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 1

Can you kindly help me to figure out how I would receive payments from customers through shopify payment options. I live in Zambia, and looking at these Shopify payment options, I can use on the Paypal express checkout to receive payments from customers. Unfortnately, I just read a paypal document online, which says that any business account would not be allowed to function at paypal when the account balance per month is less than $3000. This means that I would NOT be able to receive funds from my customers after selling because I do not have that minimum balance of $3000 for my shop as a beginner. Does any one here have an alternative way to resolve this situation? I would be grateful for any helpful suggestions.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1062 100 243

Hey there,

Bo here from Shopify Support! 

Thank you so much for reaching out regarding this and I am sorry to hear that you are encountering this issue with PayPal. Shopify Payments are only available in this list of counties. However, I did some digging into this an found that 2Checkout is available in Zambia! You can take a look at our full list of supported payment gateways available in Zambia here. I would also recommend taking a look at our guide on setting up a third party gateway here.

While you are still learning the ropes of the platform I'd recommend taking a look at our Shopify webinars for sure. These short tutorials take you through all the basics of creating a store such as adding products, variants, collections, theme changes and pointing a domain to your store. You should be able to sign up here. We also have a free business course with our Shopify Academy that I would really encourage you to look at if you get a chance, you can find that here.

Let me know how this goes and if there is anything else I can assist you with, I'm happy to help!

All the Best,

Bo

Bo | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 1
Hi Bo!

I just followed this issue with Paypal support. I learnt that Zambia does not have any paypal express checkout: a method that allows a business owner to both receive money from customers. Paypal has been working on this issue, and they are still discussing it with the Zambian government. The only thing available for now is the Paypal personal method. This latter method does not allow a business owner to receive funds from customers/any body although he/she can send money to vendors through it.

Kindly rectify shopify advertising messages. For now, those messages are very misleading. A Zambian cannot select paypal express checkout as a payment provider.

I am still researching with the bank, I suspect that even other providers might me affected in a similar way. Are you very sure that 2checkout, pesapal, Bitpay and others allow a trader to receive money through them from customers? I am very doubtful as of now. Can you kindly provide me any Zambian receiving money through any of these systems? That would be very encouraging. For now, my steam is quite low. I need to figure out which way to follow…

Upset,
Gift19

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1062 100 243

Hey there, Gidt19! 

Thank you for getting back to me. Due to our Privacy Policy we are unable to discuss individual stores with anyone other than the owner, and so we will not be able to provide an example of a Zambian store. 

I understand how disheartening it is to no be able to use PayPal and I will be sure to send this information back to our team so that they can adjust the advertising accordingly, thank you for bringing it to my attention. I would recommend reaching out to 2Checkout directly to find out if they will suit your business' needs. You can contact them here.

All the Best,

Bo

Bo | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 1
Dear Bo,

Thanks for replying. Yes, I felt bad in the beginning, but it is the reality of the world. I have to look at other options. I am glad that you suggested 2checkout. I have already contacted 2checkout support team.

We are currently trying to work out how they can integrate me into their payment system because 2checkout setting up options are not favorable to a Zambian situation. Mainly because our national identity cards and driving licenses do not have a customer’s physical address. This became problematic for me, since I cannot complete the set up for now as my physical address is not on my IDs. 2checkout support asked me to provide an electricity or water bill as an alternative. Yet, I could not because I live in a company house as a employee. It is my employers, who pay the water and electricity bills on behalf of their employees. Basically, water and accommodation are free although we contribute towards electricity. In view of this, 2checkout asked me to write them a letter regarding this matter. I have houses, but I do not live in those houses. They are on rent in other towns, and I am working in another town. This is my issue for now. As a result, I need to find an alternative, perhaps getting my supervisor/employer to write 2checkout something.

I am hopeful that I will find a solution. I guess that my experiences are not meant for me only, but also other customers from developing countries. Once, I deal with this blockage, it will help me and others in similar situations not just from Zambia.

I think that technology—internet—is the best way to development for developing nations. Therefore, we cannot stop right now pursuing better lives through the internet. However, we must fight collectively until we pave ways. I cannot manage alone, but I am sure that with positive views from other people, I would find possible solutions.

Okay, thanks for now regarding all your help about this issue. Tonight, I will write 2checkout and here their reply.

Have a great day!

Cheers

gift19
1 Like