When to send customer shipping notification?

Reez2020
Visitor
3 0 1

I want to make sure when is the right time for customers to receive an email that their order has been shipped.

Do most small businesses send email notifications to customers during the weekend, especially Sundays, that their package is shipped?

During the week between what time is best to ship out packages?

Replies 3 (3)

Elias
Shopify Staff
2771 274 483

Hey, @Reez2020.

This is Elias from Shopify Support. I'd be happy to lend a hand with this!

I understand you're looking for the right time for customers to receive an email when their order has been shipped. While many businesses may be sending the shipping notifications at different times; however, I think a good time to send the shipping notifications is when you have the package ready with a shipping label. Even if you haven't dropped off the package, the tracking number in the shipping notification will let customers know that their package is on the way. 

From one of my recent online shopping experiences, the merchant notified me on Sunday and dropped off my package at their post office on Monday. I was able to track my package in a timely manner and I received my order on the following Thursday. This was a great experience for me because I was able to track my package all the way. For this reason, I think the most ideal time to send the shipping notification would be on the same day or the following day from when you're ready to ship the package. 

I don't think there is a specific time frame that's best to ship out packages, as this would likely cause a congestion at the post office. However, by using your local carrier's cut-off schedules, you can make sure that your customers can get their packages on time or sooner. For example, my local carrier's cut-off time is around 3 pm, so any packages that are dropped off after that are picked up on the following business day. It's also important to note that my local post office doesn't make deliveries over the weekend, so the packages will need to be dropped off before 3 pm on Friday or the following business day. 

I hope this helps! If you have any other questions on this topic, don't hesitate to let me know!

Elias | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

Reez2020
Visitor
3 0 1

I think the most ideal time to send the shipping notification would be on the same day or the following day from when you're ready to ship the package.

What about the orders I receive on Sundays, and I pack on Sunday ... is it better to send the notification right away or send it the next day while most carriers are closed on Sundays?

Elias
Shopify Staff
2771 274 483

Hey, @Reez2020.

Thank you for following up!

I don't think it's an issue if you send the shipping notifications on Sunday or the next day, as most customers are aware that their post offices are closed on Sunday. Even if the carriers are closed on Sunday, I think the customers would be ecstatic knowing that their package is on the way. I also think most customers already know what to expect when it comes to tracking their packages, so I think you're good to send the shipping notifications on Sunday - given that you have the package ready to go! 

That being said, it sounds like you're almost ready to launch your store (if you haven't already). This would be a good time to start planning on how you're going to market your business and drive traffic to your store. Have you developed a marketing plan for your store yet?

Elias | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog