Why is Payment now in a different currency?

Highlighted
Tourist
17 0 2

My website is in Euros, with a dropdown where customers can view the price in another currency.

I've just had an order go through in GBP... yet every other order before it has always been in Euros! Even to addresses where GBP would be the domestic currency.

I don't know why this is happening when I haven't changed any settings. Could it be that this customer has been the only one so far to use the currency drop down, so it's carried through to payment?

Would appreciate some thoughts here :)

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
16 1 2

Shopify detect vistors country by their IP location, so if you set price in EU while the people comes from Australia then it will show AUD, USA will show USD, Hongkong will show HKD. If you want the EU currency shown in front of your clients, then you should ads on the EU countries only except the UK.

@SuzieQ wrote:

My website is in Euros, with a dropdown where customers can view the price in another currency.

I've just had an order go through in GBP... yet every other order before it has always been in Euros! Even to addresses where GBP would be the domestic currency.

I don't know why this is happening when I haven't changed any settings. Could it be that this customer has been the only one so far to use the currency drop down, so it's carried through to payment?

Would appreciate some thoughts here :)

China order fulfillment agent, 1688 dropshipping suppliers, www.86deal.com
0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
17 0 2

That makes sense.

Payouts into the bank from Shopify to my client should always be in Euros though, as that's our billing currency? Yep?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
673 63 88

Hello, @SuzieQ.

Elias here with Shopify Support. Thank you for this inquiry.

If you’ve enabled your store to sell in multiple currencies, customers can pay with their own currency and the payout will be converted. In this case, the order will show that the payment was through GBP; however, the payouts will convert the payment to Euros before reaching your bank account. Could you take a look at your payouts and see if the conversion took place?

Let me know if this helps! If you have any other questions on this topic, don’t hesitate to let me know in this thread.

Elias | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes