Why my costumer Card being declined?

Highlighted
Tourist
29 0 0

My customer tells me her card has been declined. No further reason given.

I know this is not fraud, and I'm pretty sure she knows how to put in her details and is not shopping beyond her credit card limit. Does anyone know about common reasons why this might happen?

Thanks,

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
25 0 5

Hi Windalis,

I work in the high risk merchant payment processing industry so I have much experience with this kind of thing. If your transaction is declined and your customer has no idea why the transaction would be declined, it is very likely your customer's card issuer had declined the transaction based on its own subjective (and often unfair) set of protocols. This is called an "Issuer Decline". The card issuer might deem the transaction high risk based on any number of factors: country where your merchant account is provided, country where you the merchant are located, your product category, the transaction amount, your billing descriptor, etc. The only thing you can do in this situation is ask your customer to contact their credit card provider and ask the credit card provider why the transaction is declining.

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
911 60 146

Hi, there.

Dallas here from the Social Care Team. I am more than happy to assist you with this today.

By the sounds of it, her card was charged with insufficient funds. That is generally the reason a payment is declined if there is no warning of potential fraud. If you are unsure, however, you can go into your Orders in your Store Admin and click on the order that didn't go through. At the bottom, you will see all of the order timeline details.

27-41-fsunl-5qzx3

When a payment fails or if there are any errors you should be able to see it there. Have you taken a look there?

If there is nothing showing up it is most likely something on the internal side of her credit card. With that, she would need to contact her bank to see if there is a lock or anything on her card.

Can you take a look at your order timeline and let me know if that helps?

Cheers,
Dallas

Dallas | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

1 Like
Highlighted
1 0 0

Nothing shows up in timeline.  Customer sent picture of card to charge, and customer has recently used card without problems or being close to limit.  This is a common problem, so I don't think this is a customer problem--it seems like a shopify problem.  Please help. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
911 60 146

In that case, Whitney I am going to have to take a closer look. I may have to send this up to my tech team, but before I will be able to do any of this I will need to move our conversation to email. 

I have gone ahead and sent an email to the address that is on file with this forum's account. If you could follow the steps in there in order to authenticate I will be happy to help you out further. 

If you don't see this email in your spam or inbox please let me know here. 

Dallas | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes