Why only one "Default Shipment Dimension" ??

Highlighted
Tourist
6 0 3

As best I can tell, the "Default Shipment Dimension"  required on the Shipping setup page is being transmitted to UPS & Fedex to for real-time-carrier calculated rates (correct or no?).  

But of course we do NOT use ONE and ONLY ONE box size.  Depends on our product size, obviously!  Big product = big box.  Small product = small box. So why can't I ente rmore than one shipping dimension depending on which product is ordered????

We have little confidence in the carrier calculations Shopify is charging our customers because when we actually go to ship the cost is much different.

Any similar issue or insights or advice anyone can share, is appreciated.

3 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
4 0 1

I think this feature is ridiculous. I called support yesterday and they emailed me bunch of info that really didn't answer my question as to why this was done. Having some other shipping issues right now and after investigating I found out that all of the major carriers are going to dimensional based shipping rates during 2015 so maybe Shopify is just getting ready for these changes. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
89 0 6

Lori,

Do you have to use FedeX or UPS?  If you ship via USPS Priority Mail, they don't use dimensional shipping.  Also, if some of your orders are going to weigh 13oz or less, tha'ts even better, as you could use USPS 1st Class Package service, which is the cheapest way to ship.

But be careful - if the weight is more than 3 lbs or so, USPS Priority Mail gets more expensive than FedEx Ground / UPS Ground.

----

shippingwiz@gmail.com
0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

For now, I have set ours to 1x1x1. This way it never takes into account the default shipping dimensions. It will take the greater of the product weights and dimensional weight. If its 1x1x1 it would be 1lb and everything has to be 1lb at least. I guess USPS would be different, but we only use UPS at the moment. I would set the weights of your items to reflect what box they would go in.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
89 0 6

Daniel,

That's the best strategy for now.

--

shippingwiz@gmail.com
0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
6 0 3

setting shipping dimensions at 1x1x1 seemed to have helped -- the rates appear more accurate, at least in the right universe. unlike before.

But this is merely a hack, and the fact remains that Shopify's shipping configuration really is a mess (perhaps woefully unsophisticated is more accurate) and we have LOW confidence in the rates it quotes our customers.  

As a new store, we are very disappointed in this and strongly urge this to get attention ASAP from Shopify devs.

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

I tried to set the box dimensions and test to see if it were more accurate to what FedEx is charging... still at least 7-10$ off. Which we are currently eating. I have emailed shopify about this twice... once they told me to use an app which my shop has to be located in Canada to use and the second time no one answered at all. This is the first time I've been super disappointed in Shopify. 

Anyone care to weigh in on how else we can solve this issue?

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 1

I'm extremely disappointed and frustrated with this feature! It has immediately effected sales with a huge increase in shipping charges on smaller items. Changing the dimensions would mean we would have to eat the cost on larger goods. Shopify has assumed that all of us ship only one size item. There has to be an option to turn this off

1 Like
Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 1

Anyone get a solution for this?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
89 0 6

There is a 'Private App' that does this. Feel free to email me for his contact info.

shippingwiz@gmail.com
0 Likes