Why, when editing an order, is it not possible to add a discount?

Highlighted
Excursionist
19 0 8

Why is not possible to add a discount to an order, after the credit card is authorized but not charged? Can edit quantities however cannot make order less than what it was placed for - doesn't make sense. When you charge customer's credit card the correct amount, less the discount, you then can't get a correct invoice. It's unbelievable how truly archartic the system is!!!! 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
703 37 114

Hi, @LB_Boyce.

Tira here, from Shopify Support. 

This is a great question and I can understand how this would be beneficial to have on your store. I'm happy to shed some light on how discount codes work with edited orders.

When an order is edited, you can edit quantities. You can also add or remove items from the order. Discount codes cannot be applied nor changed in an edited order. If an item with a discount code that has been applied is removed from an order, the discount will disappear and the customer will owe the difference. Automatic discounts cannot be added, edited, or removed. If there are percentage automatic discounts in the order, the order amount will be adjusted to accommodate any items that have been added or removed. 

Check out our help docs on editing orders and discounts here:
Editing Orders

Discounts and Editing Orders

Automatic Discounts

This is a feature that we are aware of that we need to work on, as some merchants have requested it. I would love to add your name to the list of merchants who are interested in adding discounts to orders. Could you please reply to this thread with your myshopify.com URL, so that I may add you to the list? 

I appreciate your feedback. This helps our developer team understand what it is that you need, so that we can improve our platform for you and all of our merchants. If we move forward with this feature request, we will post it in our changelog or on our announcements page.

Once I hear from you, I can add your store to the list for this request. I look forward to hearing from you. 

Tira | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
19 0 8

It is utterly ridiculous in the world of software today that a program such as Shopify is so completely out-of-date that you can't simply add a discount to an order. I understand how the program works!!! It makes no-sense that you can edit an order but you can't give that customer a discount. What happened to "the customer comes first"? Obviously shopify comes first and the customer doesn't matter.

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
6 0 0

Aloha, Tira! I'd like to add my store to the list for requesting this feature. I often find that I need to edit an order after fulfillment in order to accommodate our free exchange policy for customers. Sometimes people want to try a second size and have the option to send the one back that doesn't work, and I usually will just send out the second size for free with a return label rather than charging for the 2nd size and refunding later. I could make a new order all together with a 100% discount in order to track the inventory properly, but it gets confusing to have separate orders for a customer when it's really all part of the same order. It would be ideal for me to be able to edit an order, add the replacement size, apply a 100% discount so they don't get charged, and then fulfill that second half of the order. My Shopify URL is naia-bikinis.myshopify.com. Mahalo!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
703 37 114

Hi, @lburton2.

Tira here, from Shopify Support. 

Thank you for letting me know why editing an order and adding a discount is important to your business. I can see how this would be a helpful feature to have on your store. 

Thank you for your store URL, I have gone ahead and added your store to our feedback list. 

Cheers,

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

We also would find it useful to either re add the discount code or just add an amount to take off the total. we have products that are sold with a discount and if the customer wants to change the item or class it show an outstanding balance. I'm new to shopify and don't know yet if it effects any reports that are generated. It would appear cleaner for any order to have the same balance when the order was placed.

our shop is shop.acsdance.uk

Thank you Mark

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
703 37 114

Hi, @Mark4466.

Welcome to Shopify!

Thanks for jumping into the thread and I appreciate your feedback and store URL. I have gone ahead and forwarded your feedback to our developers. 

As an alternative, you can refund an amount of your choosing when editing an order. Check out our help doc with the steps here: Editing orders - Refund a payment

It also sounds like you're selling products with a discount and the discount isn't being applied to some orders. Is that right? 

If this is happening, I recommend creating an automatic discount. Automatic discounts help you to create a discount code that will be applied automatically to the checkout when the conditions of the automatic discount are meant (for example, a customer would need to add two products to their cart to receive a 20% discount off their total). You can check out our help doc for the steps to create a fixed/percentage discount or a Buy X Get Y discount, here: Creating automatic discounts

Do you have a specific report that you want to see? You can view your reports in the Shopify Analytics section of the Shopify Admin

0 Likes
Highlighted

Another vote for this super common, obvious feature that should have been implemented years ago. 

Monster, creature & cryptozoology patches, buttons & stickers.
0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

I do have automatic discounts applied, and that is the problem.

A customer has bought classes with auto discount applied, then has realised they have chosen the wrong week for one of them and wants to change.I change the details by editing the order (removing the wrong week then adding the correct) but the new class added does not have the auto discount applied so looks like the customer still owes money. If I mark it as paid surely that is going to screw some report up when I’m trying to reconcile payments, as that order now shows the amount as more when we have been paid less.

It looks like a refund is the cleaner way to go, but we are a small charity and the shop is mainly for our current members to use to help during this pandemic, so we need to be mindful of any extra charges that might be incurred. 

Thank you for the response.

Mark

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
19 0 8

Another issue here is why charge a customer and then refund the discount. The customer wants to just be charged the correct amount. Telling the customer you will refund the discount often makes the customer uncomfortable and it is messy. In addition the order then shows up in Shopify as as partially refunded. 

2 Likes