Will my Shopify Payment gateway get deactivated if I sell hookah related products (NO TOBACCO)?

Highlighted
1 0 0

Hello, 

I plan on selling hookah related accessories such as pipes, charcoals, hookah bowls, and hookahs (NO TOBACCO) through my shopify store. I was wondering will the default Shopify Payments gateway get suspended or deactivated? If so, are there any other payment gateways I can accept. I am based in Ontario, Canada.

Thank you

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1046 61 124

Hi there @ajgtyu!

Don here from Shopify.

For questions about the use of Shopify Payments in Canada, I would direct your attention to our Shopify Payments Terms of Service (Canada).

While we can't offer legal advice from here, and would always have to direct you to contact a qualified expert in your jurisdiction with any legal questions, there does appear to be a clear stance on hookah pipes contained in the Terms of Service text linked above.

Under Section B, subsection 'Products or services that are otherwise prohibited by law or our financial partners' you will see that hookahs fall under this remit.

As such, you would likely need to look into using another payment gateway available for use in Canada.

You can check out the full list of those here.

Spend some time researching your options and reach out to any potential candidates to see if they would be able to handle your business type.

Have you been selling these products already somewhere or are you just starting out in this line of business?

Regards,

Don

Don | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes