Working with multiple print on demand fulfillment companies

2 0 1

I currently use Printful (a print on demand fulfillment company) to make apparel, but would like to work with other companies (Gooten, Printed Mint, Printify, CustomCat, etc.) that are the same, but have other products that Printful does not offer. 

Is anyone here using multiple print on demand companies connected to their Shopify? 

My question is: How do you handle shipping? Currently Printful automatically does all of that for me, but if someone orders a Printful product + a Gooten product in the same order, how do these companies handle shipping and fulfillment? Do I need to manually add shipping costs to Shopify? 

I'm just very confused by the whole thing, but I would love to add a variety of products to my shop that Printful just doesn't offer. Thanks in advance!

1 Like
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
150 0 11

Hi, Romina

This is Martha from the Shopify Team. 

Using multiple companies to make and ship your orders often requires some extra legwork on your end. Printful is great because they allow you to easily incorporate their live rates - if you wish. 

If you are looking to have a broader spectrum of products available then using multiple apps/companies might be the best solution. This would require that you set up some manual shipping rates, based on price or weight and location. Each app uses their own method for how and when they make and how they ship, so you'll need to do a little merging of those details in your Admin.

• This will likely bump up your shipping costs (or cut into your profit margin) as multiple packages from different locations might need to be sent for each order. 
  • This would also require some clarification when notifying customers about when to expect their items (think shipping rate names, shipping policies, notifications, etc)! 

I hope this, and some more comments from our Forums community will help point you in the right direction. Feel free to send us an email if you need any more help getting set up for your launch.

All the best, 
Martha
support@shopify.com

1 Like
2 0 1

Thanks for the speedy response, Martha!

That was helpful and I feel like I'm looking in the right direction now.

At the moment, most of my products will come from Printful, but I would like to have some notebooks from Printify and some home decor type stuff from Gooten or CustomCat.

I clicked all of the links you share in your response, but still have questions. If I use these three services for example, all I need to do is go to the Shipping settings within Shopify and manually input shipping costs there? Do I need to toggle off any settings with Printful or the others or is manually inputting it into the Shipping settings on Shopify enough?

Next, how am I able to find out what Printful and the others currently charge for shipping? I'm trying to figure out if it would be easiest to change the product price to include shipping and then just have free shipping. But I have no way of knowing at the moment how much I need to charge my customers for the products in order to make a profit this way. 

Hopefully I am not overthinking this. If I am, I apologize. This is my first Shopify store. Still on the 14 day trial. (:

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Expert
34 0 2

The app we develop, Advanced Shipping Rules, allows you configure different rates for different groups of products that then get combined intelligently at checkout for your customer. 

We currently offer a direct integration with Printful, and Pixels. ( Mostly likely adding Printify soon ). 

Even without a direct integration you can re-create each fulfillment providers table rates in our app, just for their products. We then combine all the different rates together at checkout. 

1 Like
Tourist
4 0 1

Martha,

I have a question that's tied into this one. 

How do you handle it if you you have shipping set up for products that you physically ship, but you also have products through a print-on-demand vendor? Where I run into the problem is with the areas (i.e. U.S. Territories) that may have higher shipping charges that differ from the rest of our shipping charges? 

How do I handle having two different rates shipping to the same area?

Thanks,

Dean Gallagher

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
578 18 52

Hi, Dean.

This is Max from the Shopify Team. 

The answer to your question, depends a bit on what your shipping rates look like now. Adding the element of a print on demand service can change the variables. Are you using rates connected directly from the supplier? This is a good option if you are selling only items from them on your shop (as Martha mentioned to Romina last year). 

If you are looking to add Manual shipping rates for different part of the country, you can do this directly in the Shopify admin. Head to Settings > Shipping and edit your current country options to exclude these outlying states or territories.

I've done this in my test shop for Canada, where I live. Creating a Domestic rate called Domestic - South (for my own reference) that includes 10 provinces.

Then a new one with the remaining territories called Domestic - North. When I go to create the North option (Settings > Shipping > click Add shipping zone > name the zone > click Add countries), Shopify automatically fills in the missing options when I select Canada. 

Within each zone you can then edit and save any relevant shipping rates.

I hope that this added information helps you figure out a way to best offer rates to your customers all over the United States! If you have any further questions, or need some clarification, please feel free to reply here or reach out to support directly!

Cheers, 
Max
support@shopify.com

Max | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Tourist
5 0 2

Hello Max, another question about shipping....

I'm a Canadian opening a niche print on demand Shopify store.  How does shipping work, when my address is Canadian, but the POD service is based out of the USA?  

How do I optimize this for customer clarity and shipping optimization? 

Thank you for any info,

Dwayne

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
578 18 52

Hi, Dwayne.

Max, again. 

I'd suggest a few different things to look into. 

Have you added a shipping policy to your online store? We have some templates that you could edit and add to your online store. Additionally, I'd suggest adding an FAQ page that addresses average delivery times, shipping origin, where to go for updates, and include contact information. 

Have you thought about some good customer experiences that you've had when purchasing from other shops? Who do you buy from, or see as a competitor that offers good shipping value and options? A degree of transparency and accessible self-help is important, no matter where the products are coming from. For example, shipping from the States might be a more central location to most of your market. This could help with speed of deliveries, less pollution, etc. Perhaps more ethical or high quality stock is available at this address. What information shared here would be relevant to your clientele?

Have you considered the after purchase flow for your customers?

Have you consulted with a tax expert in your area about any implications on what you are selling and from where? That would be one more thing to consider for yourself!

I hope some of that information is helpful. If you did have any follow-up questions, please let us know. we'd be happy to share some more information at any point!

Cheers, 
Max
support@shopify.com

Max | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
1 0 0

Hey billionaire people!

I'm about to start my first POD store, probably on Shopfy but I still don't have THE questions answered in my 2 days search, so I decided to log in here, hope you can help me:

1. I already have my website with my own domain which I'm happy with. I just wanna add a SHOP page on it, can I do it with SHOPIFY?

2. Can I offer the same T-shirt designs from different supliers and the site automatically pick the "right" one considering the customer location? I mean, I'm based in Australia where most of my public is located, but I wanna be able to sell Worldwide and I wanna provide the fastest and cheapest delivery option available, so if someone from Brazil order my Tee I wanna a POD supplier from there sending it to my customer, instead of sending it from here (Australia).

Thank you very much! And hands on!

Bruno. 

0 Likes
Tourist
4 0 1

Bruno,

For your first question — Yes, you can do that. That's actually how we set up our shop too. The process isn't too bad to get it pointed to the right place. Here's the link that I followed to do it.

https://help.shopify.com/en/manual/domains/add-a-domain/using-existing-domains/connecting-domains#su...

For the second question — I don't know a way you could do that, especially since (at least for POD product) the POD company could ship from multiple locations anyway. I suppose there may be a way to do it programatically, but if it's possible that would require specific programming.

Hope this helps.

Dean

0 Likes