Would like the option to charge shipping PER ITEM and not general shipping rates.

Excursionist
15 0 9

I just found this after adding products to my store and being excited about launching it, only to find that there is no PER ITEM shipping cost option which even sucky and dinosaur looking CITYMAX has and I was with them for years! Look Shopify there is no way in hell that i"m going to be paying you or anyone else a MONTHLY fee to provide basics that even dinosaur sites like CITYMAX provides.

Your themes look lovely though the liquidness is not easy to understand. I love the look of my site, but I don't make money on how it LOOKS but how it functions and how easy it is for me to use it. I WILL NOT BE WEIGHING every item I post in order to figure out the shipping rates- ESPECIALLY when I've used flat rate priority shipping for  5 years of business. Realizing that Shopify wants to take transaction fees from me (Citymax never did) and that Shopify expects me to pay another company 4 months worth of monthly store operating fees ($120/yr!!!??????) JUST TO have per item shipping costs...has me ticked off that I even wasted time building the store and paying for the first month. I'm ready to leave already. How UTTERLY ridiculous ....I'm more than annoyed with this.  I'm not going to be shelling out fees left and right on functionality just to have a better "looking" store than I had on the other site.

4 Likes
Excursionist
15 0 9

They probably get kick backs from the other companies for sending us to them to pay an arm and a leg for services they should have integrated as basics in the first place.

2 Likes
Navigator
1151 0 118

I can't dispute that there are features we'd love to see ... and over time in many cases have seen ... added to Shopify's core. However, I have to say, in the face of such Shopify-bashing, there IS a FREE trial during which one can set up a product and test the system through checkout. So I don't get why people move to Shopify, THEN test things out, then publically lash out at Shopify. It's like complaining to the car dealership after the purchase that your car does not have a sunroof even though you could have plainly seen before the purchase that it had none - if only you had taken the time to look. I spent two weeks demoing different systems, asking questions, etc. before selecting Shopify for our business. So sorry, I don't mean to be rude, but I just don't get these sort of complaints. Request away, drive your Guru crazy, email the CEO twice a day to encourage additions to the system. But don't bash the company for not having a feature you want when it never promised it or advertised it. That's just not fair.

http://www.StandoutDesigns.com ::: Solid Wood TV Furniture for Enthusiasts. Made in USA.
3 Likes
Excursionist
15 0 9

Whether tested or not it's stupid not to offer the option from JUMP STREET.. and if saying so is "shopify bashing" so be it.

2 Likes
Excursionist
15 0 9

To those who don't want to be bled for $120 a year for such a BASIC option that should be a part of any modern e-commerce platform, here is a suggestion in the mean time until you figure out what you want to do (migrate elsewhere or watch paint dry while waiting for the change) 
Check out this suggestion (OTHER than that overpriced app suggestion) 
https://ecommerce.shopify.com/c/ecommerce-design/t/shipping-flat-rate-additional-cost-per-item-15492...

1 Like
Excursionist
89 0 6

I just heard of a Free App that supposedly does this (technically, as a "Private App"). 

However, since I don't know much about the developers' background, I'm not sure whether he really understands the scope of the challenge in building such an app.  Also, I don't know whether it's for everyone or for US merchants only. 

But I do have an invite to check it out, so I should be able to form an opinion.  Meanwhile, If anyone else wants to test it, send me an email and I will forward the request. 

shippingwiz@gmail.com
1 Like
1 0 0

We need shipping profile!!

0 Likes
Shopify Expert
3991 13 316

I have released several custom Shipping Apps that do exact variations on this. Any shop with the Carrier Shipping API enabled can take advantage. This pattern should be more common as it is very useful to merchants with specific shipping requirements. 

The customer adds X items to their cart. When checking out, Shopify sends the shops shipping Origin, the customer's shipping Destination and the list of all items in the cart to the Shipping App. The Shipping App calculates the shipping cost PER ITEM and reports that back, so that the customer sees the correct shipping rate PER ITEM. 

It works.

Custom Shopify Apps built just for you! hunkybill@gmail.com http://www.resistorsoftware.com
1 Like
Navigator
1151 0 118

Hey, Hunkybill, we love the custom shipping app you made for us. Will pay for itself quickly, there are no monthly fees, and it works the way we need to work.

(unsolicited plug; we just know from first hand experience that the API is the way to go)

http://www.StandoutDesigns.com ::: Solid Wood TV Furniture for Enthusiasts. Made in USA.
0 Likes
Excursionist
89 0 6

Well, a custom app is the best way to go, but only if you can afford the cost of programming as well as the uncertainty of dependence on the developer's continued availability whenever changes are needed (it's highly likely that you will need changes made to a process as critical as shipping).

That's why, if there's a Free alternative AND it does the job reliably - a rare species indeed - that combination is soooo enticing to all of us! 

shippingwiz@gmail.com
0 Likes