Would like the option to charge shipping PER ITEM and not general shipping rates.

Excursionist
17 0 23

Sacha - Pathetic answer!!

Nobody should have to pay an additional monthly fee for an app to obtain a function that is so basic and fundamental to online commerce that it should have been built into Shopify properly in the first place.  The "Better Shipping" may work for some cases but it is NOT the answer to most of the numerous threads that have been posted here for years and for which Shopify are still consistently failing to deliver any sort of meaningful solution.

Sorry Shopify but you seriously need to get your act together on this one and deliver proper product based shipping options on ALL plans.  It is an insult to tell us to pay someone else to fix your screw-up and just as much an insult to suggest that your customers affected by your negligence, having expended countless hours and thousands of dollars getting a Shopify shop up and running, consider using another eCommerce site instead of Shopify for our stores.

How hard can it be?????  A couple of extra fields in the products database and a selector in the shipping rates that can reference those fields.  It's entry level database programming skill stuff so please Shopify lets have some action instead of excuses!

10 Likes
Tourist
4 0 6

The launch of my site has been delayed because of the shipping limitations through Shopify. I sell antique furniture and accessories, so no two pieces will ever be the same in terms of size or weight nor will they always be shipped by the same carrier.  A sofa will be freight but a lamp might go UPS.  To 'pad' the price and offer free shipping is rolling the dice on my profit or gauging the customer. 

I want a calculator on my product page based off of the custom variants (dimension / weight) so the customer can enter their state / zip code and get a rate.  I've even eliminated shipping outside of the US to see if I could get close to having something offered.   I received a quote for a custom build but I'm only an affiliate plan and would need to upgrade my plan which isn't budgeted for launch.

Lastly, I'm the store owner, not even the designer or developer — had I known about these limitations before going this far down the road with Shopify, there is no way I would have gone with this platform. 

My question; IF I had a custom calculator built, would it even work?

6 Likes
Tourist
4 0 6

Question: on this thread, and on many others, I see people making strong, valid complaints about Shopify vs platforms like Volusion and BigCommerce. I myself am also considering leaving Shopify for the same reasons. If you have decided to stay on Shopify despite these complaints, please share what advantages Shopify has over the other platforms that have kept you around. Thanks!

6 Likes
Shopify Partner
19 0 29

This is the 2nd thread i've read where Shopify recommend using the Better Shipping App. 

"Check out the app Better Shipping https://apps.shopify.com/better-shipping";

That's a really crappy hand off. It is down to Shopify to provide an excellent service, that is what we all pay for, not for the pleasure of getting to hand out more $$$ to a third party to basically fill in a gap in what Shopify provide. 

C'mon shopify, get the finger out. It's not rocket science, get your IT nerds on the case. 

8 Likes
Excursionist
15 0 5

I just wanted to chime in with our similar frustration over the lack of shipping options. Shipping rates rule retail these days, and our analytics show time and time again that we are losing customers when they see our shipping rates in checkout. 

We sell small, light items that cost a lot and some big items that don't cost a lot, so it is difficult to do shipping costs based on price. And like many small business owners, we do not have a large staff and we do not have time to weigh every item in our inventory. 

Even when using individual shipping prices with Better Shipping, we can't offer consolidated shipping. We are so frustrated! Our customers are frustrated!

This shipping issue is going to force us to find another solution. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE GET WORKING ON THIS, SHOPIFY! 

5 Likes
2 0 7

This is ridiculous. I have had to set up 22 different shipping rates just to have the illusion of "per item shipping rates." I only have 4 products in my store and these 22 rates only cover a few different combinations. Come on Shopify, this feature should have been implemented from the beginning. Stop making UI updates and start integrating features people are asking for. I don't care how good the back-end looks if its lacking functionality people are asking for.

I am starting to realize Shopify's MO, with this feature and many others I have looked into, is to either add your name to a possibly fictitious "Epic Wants" list or tell you to shell out money to a third party. 

It is really frustrating to have purchased a theme (non-refundable) and paid for a subscription just to get all the way to the end and realize that I may have to switch platforms all because you don't offer "per item shipping rates".

7 Likes
Shopify Partner
19 0 29

The chances are it will be the usual reply "we have a great plugin from X provider for only an additional $X per month"  - Lame

1 Like
Tourist
4 0 2

This is something we really need as well, Etsy's Delivery Profiles are ideal for grouping products.

The current Shopify system is a nightmare!

2 Likes
1 0 4

I want to throw in my comments here. I CAN'T believe you can't charge a specific price for shipping specific items. It is website 101. And no, I don't want to weigh my objects as weight is only one part of the equation - the box's sizes are all too relative and impact shipping costs. And it takes too much time which I don't have. Shopify MUST work out a solution and stop passing this off to 3rd party apps which don't even meet this basic need. I hope we get a real response here and not another "working on it for future versions" which does us no good at all. Thanks

4 Likes
Shopify Partner
19 0 29

Come on Shopify, get with it. 

Being fobbed off to 3rd parties is made even worse if you are outside the US, as the ad on's arenn't available for other countries. Australia and Canada seem to be doing ok, there is one for the UK (but only works in pounds sterling) and for countries like Ireland and LOADS of others, there are no options. 

If switching to another platform was quick and easy, I would have done it by now. 

5 Likes