ZIP CODE VERIFICATION ISSUE

Jessica_Griffit
1 0 0

Hi there,

I have received over 5 phone calls in the last few weeks where customers are getting a message at checkout stating their zip code does not match that associated with their credit card.  Many only have one address associated with billing and their shouldn't be any issue.  As a result I have to either direct them to use Paypal or manually submit these orders into our credit card reader and inventory system, bypassing Shopify alltogether, any suggestions?

Thanks!

0 Likes
Massaad
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
329 0 35

Hello Jessica, 

In all cases of zip code errors it is the customers bank reporting this error. The bank is the only place that would actually know the zip code, so at that moment your store is actually verifying the entry on file. 

Your payment gateway might have settings to bypass this check, Shopify Payments does permit this to be turned off, but perhaps your gateway does not offer this?

Often it can mean that there is an issue or that they have moved. A few times I have also seen issues with "auto fill" in the customres browser causing confusion also. Once you enter the new zip and move on, some web browsers will quickly update it to whatever was on file and send the "wrong zip."

Hopefuly this helps!

0 Likes
Pipinha
2 0 1

Hi,

I have the same problem! I can't finish my account setup because Shopify says my postal code is not valid! I am inserting my address in Lisbon, Portugal. How can I fix this?

Quico
1 0 0

I`m having the same problem

0 Likes