can i use my personal paypal account on my shopify store

Highlighted
Shopify Partner
2 0 0

i have been trying to link my personal paypal account on shopify since i dont have a registered company yet to use for a business account , so how can i do this

0 Likes
Highlighted
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
3073 231 502

Hi @sentinol,

Nick here from Shopify. 

Really good question. When connecting your PayPal account to your Shopify store as a payment gateway it must be a business account. You can see this stated in the Shopify help documents below:

21-35-zulu2-vs7ma

You can upgrade and change your account to a business account should you wish to do so but this is something you would need to do through PayPal directly here

Hope this helps! 

All the best, Nick

Nick | Community Moderator @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
2 0 0
thanks a lot it really helps. but i cannot do that at the moment because
the paypal business account requires a business license and i dont have a
business yet , any advice on this
0 Likes
Highlighted
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
3073 231 502

No problem at all, glad it helped. 🙂

I'm not sure what country your based in, so I'm not 100% how it would work for you to gain a business license or register your business. My best advice would be to visit your countries government website or a professional accountant in your area as they would know best about any business laws from where you are based. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

Is this a new policy of Shopify? I could use a personal paypal account, 3-4 months ago, for capturing payments, and they released the withheld money after my products were delivered.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
3073 231 502

Hi @VamosiOliver,

Ah ok, so you were able to use your own personal account and use PayPal as your payment gateway? If so, that would be something on PayPal's end as they would control whether or not how they're gateway works as the money is going through them at all times and not Shopify. Either way, I would strongly advise using a PayPal business account for legal and tax purposes. A business account is free with PayPal and there are no major changes. You can find out more about it here as well as see the screenshot below: 

20-03-wjsvv-fp05p

But for legal and tax purposes I would strongly advise going the business account route. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

Hi, 

I'm having the same problem, before it wouldn't ask me for a business paypal account if I wanted to connect my store to paypal but now it does (won't let me use existing personal paypal without converting into biz. account). I cannot use a paypal business account, the Shopify business I'm starting isn't big enough yet for it to make sense to spend money establishing a company. It costs at least between EUR 550 and EUR 3100 in my country, on top of this I would have to pay EUR 364.23 /month to be the proprietor of the company.

Not only money-wise but registering a business in my country isn't the easiest thing and takes time. So how can I accept payments via Paypal without doing this? Who can I contact to resolve this issue? 

On top of this, Since my paypal express checkout isn't finished setting up, it won't let me refund any money. Including money I spent testing my store. They do say they will automatically refund the money in 29 days (or the 29th, not very clear) however this isn't ideal.

Thanks.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
3073 231 502

Hi @Ncort55,

When you say: 

I cannot use a paypal business account, the Shopify business I'm starting isn't big enough yet for it to make sense to spend money establishing a company. It costs at least between EUR 550 and EUR 3100 in my country, on top of this I would have to pay EUR 364.23 /month to be the proprietor of the company.

I'm wondering if signing up as a sole trader could work for you in the short term? I was in a similar situation to you with my store not being large enough to establish a LTD company, so I operate as a sole trader for now which eliminates a lot of cost for that. 

Regarding your question:

Not only money-wise but registering a business in my country isn't the easiest thing and takes time. So how can I accept payments via Paypal without doing this? Who can I contact to resolve this issue? 

Have you reached out to PayPal about this yet? The Shopify system can only accept payments from business accounts, so the only solution from a Shopify persepctive is to get a PayPal business account and connect it. 

0 Likes