capture payment error

Highlighted
6 0 0

Hi,

I had a customer check out this morning.  The order went through on her end ( appeared on her bank account) but on my end shopify never captured the payment due to incorrect CVC code.  Do you know how I can fix this?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
833 53 139

Hi, @bblythe1 

Elle here from Shopify!

If you are using Shopify Payments and can see that the order failed due to the security code being incorrect within your Abandoned Checkouts section, then your customer is seeing an authorization on their card that will disappear within a few business days. 

This is a situation that can typically cause some confusion! The reason for this is because authorizations don't immediately disappear from bank statements when the full attempt to charge a card fails. The authorization can stay on a statement until the authorization period expires. Also, mobile banking apps generally can't tell the difference between an authorization and a charge.

Your next best step would be to have your customer connect with their bank so they can have this confirmed by their bank! This should certainly resolve any doubts they have about being charged!

Hope this is helpful :)

Elle | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
6 0 0
Thank you for your help! The customer re- placed their order and will wait
for the authorization to fall off.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
833 53 139

That's great! Happy I was able to help @bblythe1 .

Elle | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
3 0 0

Hi @Elle

We have a similar issue quite frequently with our customers, usually the cause being not putting the correct Billing Address or CVV. Is there a way to prevent the failed authorization from showing up on their bank records at all? We explain the fact that it will clear with time, but people seem really skeptical since it shows up on their bank app. Ideally, it would not make it to their bank statement but would fail completely. Many people have thought that they ordered when in fact their card didn't work for whatever reason. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

0 Likes