currency based on billing address for shopify

Highlighted
3 0 0

Hi, we are in the process of activating multi currency through Shopify Payments option.

The currencies will be GBP and USD. We would like to be able to charge customers who select United States or Australia as their billing address country in USD and everyone else to be charged in GBP. 

Is this possible to do? If so please can you detail how to do it?

All the best, Jamie

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
726 76 130

Hey, @dazze-studio!

Lulu here from the Shopify Support team. Thanks for reaching out here, and I'll be more than happy to help you out.

It wouldn't be possible for you to choose which currency the customer is charged in. Your customers can pay for their orders and receive refunds in their local currency. The customer's local currency will be chosen from their location or from a currency selector that you can add to your theme. It would be up to the customer to select what currency they check out in or which currency they choose from the selector. Can I ask why you are looking to have them check out in the particular currency? 

Kind regards,

Lulu

Lulu | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

0 Likes
Highlighted
3 0 0

Hey Lulu,

Thanks for the reply. Well, ideally we would be able to set the prices specifically for USD, so we could offer DDP to USD customers based in United States and Australia. I know this is not an option using Shopify Payments, as it automatically converts the base (GBP) prices. Unless you know of another way?

To be honest, thinking about the below - there would be no need to force the currency at checkout as the prices are auto set in this instance. Only if we could manually set the USD prices would we want United States and Australian customers to pay in USD. 

Is any of the above possible? Thanks

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
726 76 130

Hey, @dazze-studio.

Thanks for coming back to me. You can certainly set the base price in USD but then it would automatically convert into GBP depending on the daily rate and there would be no way to customise that but at the end of the day the currency at checkout will be chosen by the customer by your currency selector or by their location. There is no way to customise this at the moment. 

However, at Shopify, we pride ourselves on the continued growth and development of our platform, and we are only able to strive towards this goal with feedback and comments from merchants just like you so I will send your idea up to our product team. There is never a guarantee that a request will get a Green Light, or make it to a product launch, but we really do appreciate all your ideas and recommendations. 

Let me know if there is anything else I can help with at all!

Kind regards,

Lulu

0 Likes
Highlighted
3 0 0

Thanks Lulu,

To confirm; there is no current way to set the prices for a specific currency ourselves and force the customer to check out in that currency based on their billing address/region? 

What would be the alternatives here; a different Shopify store for United States and Australian customers? 

Thank you. Jamie

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
726 76 130

Yeah exactly @dazze-studio, there is no way to decide what currency the customer checks out in.

Yes, exactly you would need to have two stores and set the currency in the checkout which you would like customers to pay in. We have a multi-store discount for this once the stores are the exact same apart from currency and language. Once you create the stores then you can let us know both URL's and once we have reviewed them we can apply your discount. We have a brilliant blog post here on expanding to different countries so definitely give it a read.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

0 Likes