how do you deal with international return?

Highlighted
5 0 0

hi guys, i am working on my online store now, and since my main market is the USA and I ship my prduct from Hong Kong,my case is I could ship from HK to USA in a good price, but while for USA customer return prodcut back to HK it gonna cost a lot, which is not an economics move.  So I am just wondering for internatinal sellers, what is your strategy to deal with international return.

P.S.my prodcut price range ~70 USD. and I offer international free shipping.

SmokeWeapon Online Headshop offers FREE SHIPPING and low prices on bongs, dab rigs, vaporizers, glass pipes, bubblers, and other smoking related products.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
68 0 3

Hey there! :) Thank you for contacting the Shopify community with your question! 

When it comes to international returns via mail, they can indeed get quite pricey. It would be important, in your case, to outline and clearly define your practices to your customers, on your site. For instance, you could offer to pay the shipping, or you could remove yourself from that responsibility. You must however, have this clearly disclosed to avoid any backlash and confusion.

I would advise that you deal with this on a case by case basis if and when such a situation arises. While you wouldn't want people to take advantage of your generosity, good publicity and customer service will be important to ensure you are promoting your brand effectively. 

From a customer standpoint, if I waited for an item to come in the mail (oftentimes for a long period of time), and then had legitimate issues with it, it would be very irritating for me to have to pay for shipping fees in order for this to be rectified. 

If you're looking for further tips and tricks, please let us know. While we can't dictate what practices are right or wrong in this particular instance, we're happy to help you strategize! :) 

Meg || Shopify Guru 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
153 0 9

I would recommend using a parcel forwarding service in the US for returns. They would get the returns and you can tell them when to send back the entire package to HK. The more they bundle together the more your savings will be. It definitely beats having them returned to you one at a time. Of course if you need them back in a timely fashion for repairs, etc., you might not have a choice. Our fulfillment center, fulfillrite.com , handles returns for our customers, and we deal with each customer individually with how they want their returns handled. Some ask us to put back in inventory, others opt to discard, and some want us to send back the returned products at their direction. You can find parcel forwarding services online, but make sure you speak to them and explain your situation.

Best of luck!

Michael@fulfillrite

e-commerce order fulfillment made fast. simple. easy. www.fulfillrite.com
0 Likes