how to add one more field in the billing address

Highlighted
2 0 0

I am making onlien shopping mall in Ecuador.

To make invoice, I need TAX ID by law of Ecuador government.

But in the customer address form when customer make order, there is no field of TAX ID.

To solve the problem, I added one field of TAX ID in creation of customer's account.

In my online mall, creation of  customer's account is mandatory because it is only way to get customer's

TAX id,

but, when the address of customer and billing address is differen, customer has to inpurt billing address 

informacon when he do checkout. but in the billing adrres form,  there is no field to get TAX ID.

So, if possible, I would like to add one more field to get TAX ID when checkout.

please help me

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
120 7 9

Hi, oh chang!

My name is Tira, and I am a Shopify Guru ready to help.

Currently, adding a new form field to checkout is not an available feature. This is because modifying the checkout is very limited, as it could cause disruption to the checkout.

I appreciate that you added the field into the customer registration form as a workaround to collect the Tax ID from your customers.

There’s two recommendations that I can suggest:

1) Rename a title in the checkout contact section to include the Tax ID. For example, you could rename “Billing Address” to “Billing Address & Tax ID” so that the customer knows to type that in. To change the title, you can go into your Shopify admin, then click on Themes > Actions > Edit Language > Checkout & system > Checkout contact. We’ve also got a help doc on using the language editor here.

2) Add a field form to your cart page, by using cart attributes. We do have a tutorial here: Collect information from the customer’s cart that shows the steps on how to add this to your cart attribute’s code. This is an advanced tutorial that would be outside our scope of support. If you require further help with this tutorial, you can contact a Shopify Expert who can help you with this coding customization.

I will send up some feedback to our developers so that they are aware this is a feature we should add to our checkout page,and look into further. We value your feedback very much as this helps us improve the platform to help you succeed with your store. If we do add this feature, we will let you and all of our merchants know.

I am also curious to see what suggestions the coding experts of the community can provide!

Tira | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

1 Like