how to add one more field in the billing address

oh_chang_ho
Visitor
2 0 4

I am making onlien shopping mall in Ecuador.

To make invoice, I need TAX ID by law of Ecuador government.

But in the customer address form when customer make order, there is no field of TAX ID.

To solve the problem, I added one field of TAX ID in creation of customer's account.

In my online mall, creation of  customer's account is mandatory because it is only way to get customer's

TAX id,

but, when the address of customer and billing address is differen, customer has to inpurt billing address 

informacon when he do checkout. but in the billing adrres form,  there is no field to get TAX ID.

So, if possible, I would like to add one more field to get TAX ID when checkout.

please help me

Replies 26 (26)

Tira
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1260 90 223

Hi, oh chang!

My name is Tira, and I am a Shopify Guru ready to help.

Currently, adding a new form field to checkout is not an available feature. This is because modifying the checkout is very limited, as it could cause disruption to the checkout.

I appreciate that you added the field into the customer registration form as a workaround to collect the Tax ID from your customers.

There’s two recommendations that I can suggest:

1) Rename a title in the checkout contact section to include the Tax ID. For example, you could rename “Billing Address” to “Billing Address & Tax ID” so that the customer knows to type that in. To change the title, you can go into your Shopify admin, then click on Themes > Actions > Edit Language > Checkout & system > Checkout contact. We’ve also got a help doc on using the language editor here.

2) Add a field form to your cart page, by using cart attributes. We do have a tutorial here: Collect information from the customer’s cart that shows the steps on how to add this to your cart attribute’s code. This is an advanced tutorial that would be outside our scope of support. If you require further help with this tutorial, you can contact a Shopify Expert who can help you with this coding customization.

I will send up some feedback to our developers so that they are aware this is a feature we should add to our checkout page,and look into further. We value your feedback very much as this helps us improve the platform to help you succeed with your store. If we do add this feature, we will let you and all of our merchants know.

I am also curious to see what suggestions the coding experts of the community can provide!

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

Not applicable

Oh for Christ's sake, it's been YEARS without this absolutely CRUCIAL feature for merchants in countries which require us to get the Tax ID and/or other extra customer information in order to issue invoices and sell legally!

It has cost me and my store hundreds of hours to manually separate the data we gather from customers because you simply WON'T LET US add an extra field; honestly, just an extra "address3" field would allow me to free up an employee to do something actually productive.

How hard can it be?? Just add a couple more options here!!!!!

Capture.JPG

Cart attributes won't cut it!

It will add an extra step to stores like mine which go from product page to checkout, and hurt conversion rates.

All Brazilian merchants are required to gather customer information very specifically in order to properly issue invoices. You guys are driving us nuts.

I don't want to read that this will be sent to developers; it's the 10th time I'm personally asking for this in the last 4 years.

Give me a developer's TELEPHONE, I'll call him first thing tomorrow and ask for this. Or give me the COO's number or whatever.

It is unacceptable that this has been neglected for so long.

Pierre_Larose
Shopify Partner
26 0 14

From 01/01/2020 Brazilian Customs are returning or destroying packages without tax id. 

https://www.correios.com.br/noticias/receita-federal-exigira-identificacao-de-cpf-cnpj-nas-encomenda...

I also asked Shopify to allow an additional field and they were very unhelpful.

Unfortunately Shopify prioritises North American stores and struggles to understand how large ecommerce markets like Brazil operate.

Bram1987
Excursionist
33 0 63

I could not agree more @Anonymous it is just one of those ridiculously rigid aspects of Shopify that are simply infuriating. There is a long list of seemingly simple features that are just essential to running an online business which are not possible to implement because Shopify does not allow it. 

I know it's not going to make a difference but I'll try too: please, Shopify, allow some extra fields at check out so that businesses which are legally required to collect a person's VAT number can do so in a natural way and not some kind of ridiculous workaround that just has the effect of making your business look like an incompetent, amateurish mess (plus not actually complying with the law). 

Not applicable
Yes and it also causes a mayhem of improperly collected customer information and misplaced orders to wrong addresses. 
Camilopez
Tourist
3 0 3

We really need this feature in LATAM in order to process payments the right way. it is a must feature if you really want to compete with VTEX.  I need this in Colombia, some companies when they see this missing feature go with other platforms. 

kiarizzy
Visitor
1 0 2

hi everyone, same problem here.

No way to find a app as well tha can manage the shipping and billing information during check-out process.

are there any news?

thank you

Camilopez
Tourist
3 0 3

Tira, any news on this? how can countries with the need of having and ID/TAX number field in the checkout proceed? we really need this basic kind of functionality in the checkout. if you suggest an APP or anything while you add it, it would be great.

Please pass this info to the development team, adding an ID/TAX number field as optional field won't do any harm at all.

Thank you.

King-Kang
Trailblazer
148 8 76

+1

Please we need customer VAT number field!

Thank you.

charlespeji
Visitor
1 0 0

I think Shopify has this feature already.

Go to Settings > Checkout > Order Processing

Tick the checkbox for  "Enable fields for additional information"

charlespeji_0-1598020355944.png

It is also indicated in this guide:

https://help.shopify.com/en/manual/checkout-settings/order-processing#enable-country-specific-inform...

I hope this helps.

Ellie7
Visitor
2 0 4

Thanks for pointing that out.

Where can we find more information on what that does exactly? If i check that, is there somewhere i can configure these newly added fields or view what fields were added at least? Does it add fields automatically based on country and if so, can i view what will be added in each case?

Bram1987
Excursionist
33 0 63

@charlespeji thank you for pointing this out, I guess it's a start, but it seems only available for customers in Brazil? Or at least, when I change it in the settings nothing changes in the check-out, and in the manual you refer to it specifically mentions Brazil as the only place where this works. Thank you nevertheless for your comment.

Very strange not to make this universally available, as we also need it where we are based (Portugal). @Tira any updates for other countries?

King-Kang
Trailblazer
148 8 76

Hi @Bram1987 

You got some alternatives! In case you don't need or use the second address field, or even the Company field name.

Ill talk english here, since this is mostly an EN community, but I'm also from Portugal 🙂

I wanted customers to have the possibility to insert their Tax ID number (NIF for Portugal) - What I did was change the Company field name to NIF, in "edit languages".

This way, at checkout, customers will see a field with the name NIF.

Don't forget that in email notifications, invoices, receipts, everything that uses in this case the variable 

{{ shipping_address.company }}

will no longer display a Company Name, since customers will see and fill it, in this case, with their NIF.

Since I replaced the Company field name, 
the only way, that customers can put their their company name is using the fields First Name and Last Name.

Bram1987
Excursionist
33 0 63

Thanks @King-Kang that's a useful advice, it's just that we shouldn't have to be using these workarounds and creative solutions, as you said, if someone actually wants a company invoice with first and last name as well as the company name and NIF it risks becoming a mess. It's not that it won't work at all, it just doesn't look professional. 

In the meantime though we'll probably implement your solution, so thanks a lot for suggesting that! 🙂 Obrigado!

FC1
Excursionist
10 0 9

Hello @King-Kang

I´m also from Portugal and having the same issue. Repurposing the company name field seems to be a useful turnaround.  How did you then solve the notifications problems? Do costumers find strange that the NIF appears as address in the notification? 

We should all email shopify support requesting this feature asap

Sincerely,

FC

Not applicable

They've since implemented a solution using what they call "location extension fields", where you will get extra checkout fields depending on your store's location.

I know Brazil is one of them, but I'm unsure about Portugal.

FC1
Excursionist
10 0 9

Hello @Anonymous 

I was checking the Shopify Changelog and it seens that this was also extended to Italy, but still isn´t available in Portugal. I really don´t understand why this is not extended to other European countries. 

FC1

Bram1987
Excursionist
33 0 63

Hi @Anonymous thanks for pointing this out. I knew about the Brazil one but not about others, if they are adding more countries it seems likely that they will also add Portugal sooner or later... It is just such basic yet important feature that I don't understand why it has to taken so long, or even why it has to happen on a 'per country' basis. 

Not applicable

You might be able to hack a new field using Javascript; people used to do this in Brazil before shopify rolled out this update. It might violate the terms but I haven't checked.

King-Kang
Trailblazer
148 8 76

Hi @FC1 ,

I removed the second address line html code from the Address in notifications.

You can choose which variables you want to show.

Cheers

SofiaDLC
Visitor
2 0 0

I'm from Costa Rica and i need to gather more information also in order to ship. I don't see this option in my settings page 😞

estebanvivar
Visitor
1 0 2

Hello, i have found this webpage that has that option working. Anyone knows how to do it?

Captura de Pantalla 2020-04-29 a la(s) 11.10.30 a. m..png

Arnar2k
Visitor
1 0 4

@estebanvivar It looks like they changed the company field translation and made company name then required. It's a workaround but its still ridiculous that Shopify is so ignorant to the rest of the world.

Ellie7
Visitor
2 0 4

Shopify, 

Please add this feature. It is absolutely necessary for working internationally

hlee
Visitor
2 0 2

I need this feature too now !!!! 

nelsonestrada5
Shopify Partner
2 0 0

Hey everybody - still looking into a way to add a custom field at checkout without having to pay $2,000 per month for Shopify Plus. Seems ridiculous that there is now way to surface a metafield at checkout 😞