how to create different shipping zones for different product categories

kevinthedrake
4 0 0

I own a brewery and have a relatively new shopify store where we sell both beer and merchandise. Due to restrictive beer shipping laws, I can only ship directly to customers in CA/NV/OR/WA. But I want to be able to ship merchandise and non-beer items to customers in all 50 US states. I currently have my shipping configured in General Shipping Rates into a single zone (CA/NV/OR/WA) with two different flat rates, one for beer (over 2 lbs = $15) and one for merch (under 2 lbs = $5.99). This has worked well since customers often combine beer and merch, and Shopify automatically charges the higher of the two flat rates based on weight. If I configure another shipping zone in General Shipping Rates, it cannot include any states currently selected. 

What I need is for Shopify to allow shipping for any items under 2 lbs (merch) to all 50 states at my $5.99 merch flat rate and restrict shipping of all items over 2 lbs (beer) to just CA/NV/OR/WA at my $15 beer flat rate. If I only shipped beer to those 4 states and only shipped merch to the remaining US states, this would be easy. But since I need to ship merch to all 50 US states and beer to just a subset of those states (CA/NV/OR/WA), I'm not sure how to configure the shipping settings. Any suggestions would be appreciated!   

Replies 7 (7)

HymnZ
Shopify Partner
399 6 48

You can set up shipping zones based on weights. All you have to do define shipping rates for all regions for under 2lbs and define for only the 4 regions for above 2lbs.

Since you have flat shipping rates. It even makes life simpler. Just add very low weights for merchandise items and a minimum of 2lbs for beers. You should be sorted.

My speciality lies in making Shopify work for your requirements, not the other way round. HMU on email: hymnz@outlook.com or on skype: hymnzzy

If you like my work, consider supporting me 🙂 https://www.buymeacoffee.com/hymnz
kevinthedrake
4 0 0

Using weight-based conditions works well when both shipping zones are under “general settings”. But you can’t have any overlap in the states included in different shipping zones. So I tried creating custom shipping zones but kept getting shipping error messages (can’t ship to this state) during testing. What am I missing?

HymnZ
Shopify Partner
399 6 48

Split 50 states into two rule sets - 46 in one, 4 in other. You'll not have an overlap now. Example below

HymnZ_0-1607536903966.png

My speciality lies in making Shopify work for your requirements, not the other way round. HMU on email: hymnz@outlook.com or on skype: hymnzzy

If you like my work, consider supporting me 🙂 https://www.buymeacoffee.com/hymnz
kevinthedrake
4 0 0

I am still getting the shipping error message when I have the same items in two different shipping profiles (one for CA/NV/OR/CA, and one for the other 46 US states), even though the shipping profiles don't have any overlap in states?

HymnZ
Shopify Partner
399 6 48

Can you share your shipping configuration and the error message screenshots here?

kevinthedrake
4 0 0

I really appreciate your help sorting this out! Here are screen shots of my shipping settings. Previously I was using weight based conditions to auto-select one of the two flat rates, but I think that weight based conditions may only work under General Shipping profile(?). Once I added specific products to my new custom shipping profiles, the error message("we can't ship to your state") at checkout went away. But the problem is, I added all my non-beer merch products to my "non-beer: 46 states" shipping profile. Then I did added the same products to my "non-beer - CA/NV/OR/WA" shipping profile and they were removed from the other profile. It looks like specific products can only be added to one shipping profile? I'd really like to be able to use weight-based conditions rather than specific products if there is any way to do that. thank you for your help!

Screen Shot 2020-12-10 at 8.56.47 AM.pngScreen Shot 2020-12-10 at 8.57.43 AM.pngScreen Shot 2020-12-10 at 8.57.53 AM.pngScreen Shot 2020-12-10 at 8.58.00 AM.png

HymnZ
Shopify Partner
399 6 48

You should put beers in one profile and all other items, in general,/or another profile. In the beers profile, give shipping rates to only these 4 states and in the other give rates for all the states including the 4 beer only states as well. This should do the trick.