how to have one product only available for local delivery

Highlighted
2 0 0

hi there! hopefully someone can help me! it seems like it should be simple but can't seem to get an answer. I have one product that I only want delivered locally as it is too big to deliver to other places. Does anyone know how I can do this? I've tried the local delivery app but that doesnt seem to give me the option of 'only delivered locally'

thanks!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
132 0 23

Hey there Melissa!

Genevieve from Shopify here :) Hope I'm understanding your question correctly, but please correct me if not!

If you want this product to be available for local delivery only - not via other delivery options - you'll need to set the weight of the product in question so that it doesn't meet the conditions for any shipping rates except the one you set for local delivery (if you charge for that option). Note that the weight you set for the product doesn't have to be accurate to the product itself - it's just a way of indicating to the system what shipping rates should apply. You might then want to add a note to the cart page to indicate that, if the customer is ordering the product in question, they must select a local delivery time. You can do this from within the Local Delivery app by selecting "Custom Text" from the left-hand menu.

To indicate to the customer that this product is only available for delivery within a certain local area you have two options:

1. Add a note to the product description to indiciate the area(s) this product is available for delivery to. You might want to reiterate this note at the cart stage. 
  2. Use an app like Postcode Shipping Extension to more forecefully limit customer's shipping options based on their postcode. You might want to reach our to Local Delivery directly to see if these apps work well together :) 

To set just a specific product to be available for local delivery, rather than your fully catalog:  pop into the app in your store's Admin, click "Products" on the left-hand menu and toggle the settings for the product(s) you want available through this fulfilment method :) 

Hope that helps! 

Genevieve S.

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

Hi Genivieve,

Thank you for your reply - I'm not completly sure what you mean. So really, I don't need the app at all? Just to apply the product with its own weight? If you could write out some steps that would be great. I have already indicated in the product description that pick up and delivery is only available in Auckland, NZ. Also, I still want all other products available for local delivery. 

Thanks,

Melissa

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
132 0 23

Hi Melissa, 

Sure! So the first thing to note is that you will need the Local Delivery app if you want your customers to be able to pick their delivery date/time for their order. Otherwise you'll end up with the awkward email back-and-forth with your customers trying to find a time that works for both of you, that the app was designed to avoid :) 

What the app can't do is set the price for that delivery, or override other applicable delivery options. We'll need to work on your shipping rates, detailed below, to achieve this. It's probably easiest to think of these as two separate functions.

• There's the date/time picker that appears at the cart stage - this is the Local Delivery app's function.
  • There's the shipping rate selector that appears at the checkout - this offers shipping rates to the customer based on their shipping address. 

So it sounds like you need to achieve three things: 

• Make local delivery an option for only the Auckland, NZ zone. 
  • Make local delivery an option for all products.
  • Make local delivery the only option available for product X.

Here're the steps you'll need to follow: 

1. Set the weight of product X to be radically different from that of your other products. (So if your other products weight between 0kg and 10kg, set product X's weight to be 100kg.)
  2. Go to your Settings>Shipping and ensure that your existing Auckland, NZ shipping rates don't extend to the weight you just set for product X. This will ensure those rates aren't offered to customers at the checkout when they're purchasing product X. 
  3. Add a new, specific Local Delivery shipping rate in your Auckland, NZ shipping zone. 
  4. Set the condition of this shipping rate to be weight-based, and set the weight range to encompass all of your products including product X (so in the above example, you'd set the weight range to be 0-100kg - or multiples of 100kg at the upper end if you'd like the customer to be able to order more than one of product X).
  5. Add a price for the Local Delivery rate if you like, and save your changes.
  6. Test this configuration out - add a bunch of products to your cart on your storefront and check that you're only offered applicable shipping rates at checkout when you enter different shipping addresses :-) 

To ensure customers outside of Auckland, NZ don't get confused by the date/time picker at the cart stage, add a note to the cart to explain this option is only available for that shipping zone. As mentioned above, you can do this from within the Local Delivery app itself by selecting "Custom Text" from the left-hand menu.

Hope that clears things up! Let me know if you need any further help.

Best, 

Genevieve S.

1 Like
Highlighted
1 0 0

Following up on this as I see Shopify now offers local delivery native to the Shopify platform. We currently do not ship and are looking to have our store offer local delivery only. Is our only option to create fictional shipping weights for every item? Or is there a more elegant way forward?

0 Likes