new customer redirected to account page!!!! AGAIN!!!

Highlighted
Tourist
6 0 2

Shopify,

Store owners have been struggling with this issues since 2012!!!!!!!! Don't you think it is time to fix it!!!!

Customers when they register for the first time are redirected to the account page which absolutely non sense. They are SHOPPING, putting products in their cart, when they are ready to register is because they finished and want to buy to take them to the checkout process with the page where they enter their shipping information and they have a summary of their cart. NOt the account page which has NO information since they have not bought anything yet and they have not input their address yet.

Please give a solution once for ALL!!!

https://ecommerce.shopify.com/c/ecommerce-design/t/return_to-redirect-after-customer-login-106478#co...

Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
179 0 14

Hey Summer,

Nicholas here from Shopify.

Thanks for reaching out to us about this. It would be great if you could submit a feature request email about this to us on our support channels, we can add it to our other requests.

Regarding the actual usability of this behaviour, once reaching the accounts page, the customer has many options in terms of returning to shopping on the store. They can hit the Logo, if you have one, to redirect to the homepage, they can also hit the main menu navigation you add to the store, there may be side bar options, and there may also be footer options to navigate to. Let's look at some examples.

Account View

Account View

In both these images, you can see the options that are available to the customer to further navigate the store once done creating the account.

You can actually add the behaviour you like also. It would be possible to add a "Continue Shopping" link to your customers/account.liquid file. Check out the code for HTML hyperlinks below:

link text

I inserted this code in my own store, the result was the image below:

Continue shopping button

You can see here the button to continue shopping.

I hope this clarifies the behaviour of this page, and also how to corrrect it yourself to your desired behaviour.

Regards,
Nicholas
Shopify Guru

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
142 0 11

Hi Summer,

You can redirect users to any wished page using SocialShopWave app: http://www.socialshopwave.com/app/social-login

Hope you find it helpful ;)

Growave is the all-in-one marketing platform that helps Shopify brands reach their audience, engage users and increase conversions with ease.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Expert
150 0 30

I still think this is a HUGE oversight by Shopify. Its pretty outrageous that they would make store owners who need to require customers to be logged in to have to put their customers through what I consider one of the LEAST SUCCESSFUL checkout flows i could think of. 

I added the Create Account form to my login page so a customer goes: shopping > adds to cart > clicks Check Out > Sees login / register page > Registers for account > GETS REDIRECTED TO ACCOUNT PAGE EVEN THOUGH THEY JUST REGISTERED AND DONT HAVE ANYTHING ON THEIR ACCOUNT> Have to find checkout button again > have to click checkout AGAIN > Then checkout.

That is preposterous. No one in the history of time has ever spent that much effort paying for something, and they never will. Anyone who needs customers to register for an account probably has a .02% conversion rate. This is Shopify's fault.

Highlighted

Agreed - this flow is a problem.  Should be part of checkout.

The simple solution is to add the following field in the signup form.

<input type="hidden" name="return_to" value="/checkout" />

so your signup form may look something like this

{% form 'create_customer' %}
 		<input type="hidden" name="return_to" value="/checkout" />

<h1 class="text-center hero-title-font">Register</h1>

{%- if form.errors -%}
            <div class="form-message form-message--error">
              {{ form.errors | default_errors }}
            </div>
          {%- endif -%}

<label for="FirstName">First Name</label>
          <input type="text" name="customer[first_name]" id="FirstName" {% if form.first_name %}value="{{ form.first_name }}"{% endif %} autofocus placeholder="First Name">

<label for="LastName">Last Name</label>
          <input type="text" name="customer[last_name]" id="LastName" {% if form.last_name %}value="{{ form.last_name }}"{% endif %} placeholder="Last Name">

<label for="Email">your@email.com</label>
          <input type="email" name="customer[email]" id="Email" class="{% if form.errors contains 'email' %} input--error{% endif %}" {% if form.email %} value="{{ form.email }}"{% endif %} autocorrect="off" autocapitalize="off" placeholder="your@email.com">

<label for="CreatePassword">password</label>
          <input type="password" name="customer[password]" id="CreatePassword" class="{% if form.errors contains 'password' %} input--error{% endif %}" placeholder="Password">

<p class="text-center">
            <input type="submit" value="Create" class="pink_button jumbo btn">
          </p>

{% endform %}

That will ensure people are redirected to checkout after signup.

Then you've got issues when people just create an account - they will just be redirected to checkout. But that can also be dealt with using some query strings/js and 2 forms.  You'll need an expert for that.

So this can be done on Shopify and it's quite smooth.  steps customer takes:

1) customer clicks checkout

2) customer creates account

3) customer is in checkout

But I do agree Shopify could improve the native experience and allow signups in the checkout.  It's a problem - esp when you throw the captcha in there.

★★★ Need help setting up your Shopify store? Hire me here: https://liquify.design ★★
Highlighted
Trailblazer
245 1 51

That was super helpful @Liquify 

I added the code to both my login page and register page, with different destinations, of course. 

I wonder how many Shopify merchants realize what their customers are going through when 'accounts required' is enabled. And landing on the account page after logging in seems like quite a fun-crusher as well. 

0 Likes