payment delay

Highlighted
1 0 0

greetings I have an on line store at dlumberyard.com and wanted to move over to Shopify. I do have one big concern and that is customer payments.

as it stands now we are a small artisan shop run by a small crew and vendors. when a customer places an order each and every order is hand made, there is nothing off the shelf here. Sometimes these orders require custom work from outside vendors and it might take a week or two. Sometimes we are booked with work and orders may not be sent for weeks.

We do not want a payment to go through and a customer paid for something and they end up waiting weeks. 

right now we do not run a credit card until the order is done and ready to ship because each and every order is different in size and weight so we may have to make adjustments to shipping costs or the order itself.

so the question is can a customer place and order type in a credit card number and we accept the payment once the order is done and shipping figured in. 

if a customer purchases customer milled wood and changes are made to the order it would be a nightmare to readjust the payment for either a part refund or added costs and changes in shipping.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
375 31 60

Hi, @daves101.

Sophia here from Shopify. Welcome to the Shopify Community!

You will be able to adjust your checkout settings in the Shopify admin to ensure that you can capture payments manually. This will allow you to capture part or all of a payment any time within the authorization period. If you're using Shopify Payments to accept credit cards online, that authorization period is 7 days.

There are also third-party payment gateways available, and they may each have a different authorization period. To bypass the authorization period and charge the customer when it works best for your business, you can look into using a third-party app like Charge Me Later or Partial.ly Payment Plans.

Order editing is another option within the Shopify admin, so if you've already captured a payment, you can always go back and edit the order afterwards to add or remove items or process a partial or full refund if necessary. Draft orders may also work well for your business because they'll allow you to send an invoice to your customer who can then pay through a secure checkout link when they're ready.

By the way, I recommend checking out our help documents on migrating to Shopify if you haven't yet. These documents cover everything you need to make the transfer process smooth. I'm here if you have any questions!

Sophia | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes