paypal express button is causing customer confusion

Highlighted
2 0 0

I just started promoting my website today (www.plantbasedinspiration.com) and within a couple of hours a potential customer contacted me saying that she didn't have paypal, is there another option of payment that she can use? I realized that the paypal express button was throwing her off and making her think that was the only method of payment available. I have since disabled paypal as a payment option because I want to avoid this confusion.

Is there a way to accept paypal payments in the shopping cart without displaying the paypal express button prior to the customer reaching the actual payment page (which I think is the third page in the checkout process)?

I have seen other posts in the forum with similar questions but so far I have not found any solutions.

I appreciate any advice. And also if anyone has feedback on my new store, I would love to hear it!!

Thank you so much.

Daniela

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
811 50 103

Hi there Daniela!

Don here from Shopify!

Thanks for taking the time to outline your issue here on our merchant forums. :)

I can definitely see where you are coming from, though there are a couple of things you can test out to see if this would clarify your checkout flow for your customers.

One thing to try is adding your checkout button to the cart page.

This just means your PayPal button would be moved from the checkout flow to the cart page in the store itself, so customers heading to their cart will see both the option to 'check out' bringing them to the regular Shopify checkout and 'PayPal' which would instead bring them offsite to pay via PayPal.

Try it out on your store and see if you think it would be less confusing this way for your customers.

If you're using a free Shopify theme you can even reach out to us via our support site and we might be able to help you put this customisation in place.

An alternative might be to try using the language editor for your theme to leave an instructional message in the cart or near the checkout to let your customers know how to check out using a card as opposed to PayPal under the existing checkout flow.

Check out the info above and see what might work for you here Daniela!

You can also always reach out to us via our support channels if there is anything we can help out with. :)

Regards,
Don

Don | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes