personalising or updating carriers at fulfilment stage when tracking number is scanned

Highlighted
4 0 0

When I scan the tracking number on my parcels using the shopify app on my iPhone, the tracking number is being attributed to the incorrect carrier even though my carrier is in drop down menu.  (Australia Post) The fact that
I have to manually override the carrier when I fulfil every parcel is very time-consuming especially when I send over 100 parcels on a busy day. Is there any way I can personalise my settings so that the app will recognise the tracking numbers I use and attribute them correctly? There is also one other carrier that I use regularly that isn’t in the drop down menu. I would like to add that carrier too if possible and somehow link it to the tracking numbers so I don't need to manually select it each time. This would speed up fulfilment greatly

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
735 39 124

Hi, @Tracy_James.

My name is Tira and I work at Shopify. 

Thank you for sharing your experience. I can certainly see how this effects you, after hearing that you have hundreds of orders to fulfill. I wanted to add some insight as to how the format of the tracking number works in the admin on Shopify. When a tracking number is entered/scanned, Shopify may recognize the format and then choose the carrier. However, if the system does not recognize it, or choose the wrong carrier, then the correct carrier will need to be selected. The reason why the incorrect carrier might get selected is because a lot of carriers have the same number of alphanumeric characters, which does make it a challenge to attribute the number to the carrier that you are looking for at that time. 

For example, DHL and Canada Post both use 16 numbers with no letters. There isn't a way to tell them apart just by looking at the tracking number. It's likely the tracking numbers that are being scanned are similar to that of another carrier's formatting. 

Since you are working with many orders, I recommend looking at apps that can automatically fulfill orders and add tracking information to them in bulk. You can use an app like MassFulfill to perform these actions. It works by uploading a file with your information, and the app will take care of the rest. You can also find more apps here. If you have any questions about these apps, you can contact the third-party developers by using the contact information under the Support section of the app's page. As the apps were created by the developers, they would provide assistance.

I would also like to share your feedback with our developer team to enhance the recognition of carriers with their tracking numbers for order fulfillment. Your feedback is valued very much, as this will help us improve Shopify for you and all of our merchants. If we do release this as a feature, we will note it in our changelog.

What is the name of the other carrier that you are using, that isn't in the drop-down menu? I would also be happy to add this as feedback to add it to the Shipping carrier list. 

If your carrier is not listed, you can select "Other" from the Shipping carrier list and enter the tracking URL.

2019-04-29_13-19-58-wrfzb

Let me know if that helps!

Tira | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
461 7 39

This happens in some of the cases with Shopify. Even though the labels are generated, the carrier selected which is automatically selected is wrong. To solve this issue and to reduce your effort (since you have 100 orders) you can use the Australia Post Rates & Labels app which will help you fulfill orders in bulk. 

You can select all your orders and generate labels at once using the app. Once the label is generated, the tracking number is automatically sent to the Shopify orders details and you don't have to enter the tracking number and select carrier manually. This would save a lot of time for you. Also, the app helps you show live Australia Post rates at checkout and handle Australia Post tracking as well.

I hope this helps you!

Customer Success @ PluginHive
Shipping Automation | FedEx shipping | Multi-carrier shipping | Shipment Tracking | Australia Post shipping
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
555 1 19

May i ask which solution are you using to update the tracking number in the order? This issue occurs usually when the solution populates the tracking number but forgets to update the 'Company Name' or carrier name. This can be tackled at the solution level. If you are using an app like the Multi Carrier Shipping label app, this is already taken care of and hence Shopify will be able to identify the carrier perfectly in the system.

Product Owner @ PluginHive
Shipping Automation | FedEx shipping | Multi-carrier shipping | Shipment Tracking | Australia Post shipping
0 Likes