"Phone can't be blank" Error when updating shipping addresses

Highlighted
3 0 0

We have run into this error a handful of times, and I'm not sure how to fix it.
A customer will place an order and give us a shipping address. We do not require phone numbers at checkout.
Then the customer will call or message us about a spelling error on their street address, or a similar problem.
We open the order in Shopify and click "Edit" next to Shipping Address.
We fix the mistake, but when we click "Save" the error "Phone can't be blank" appears.  We never got a phone number from the customer, so we usually have to contact the customer and ask for a phone number, or we need to just remember to change the shipping label after we print it.

Is there a way to prevent the "Phone can't be blank" error from appearing at all?

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
129 19 28

Hi, @Justinnovi!

Sophia here from Shopify.

I opened up an order in my test store for a customer who didn’t enter a phone number to troubleshoot. I edited the customer name and address a couple times, but I didn’t run into the "Phone can't be blank" error message. Is the error appearing every time you try to edit a customer’s information on an order page? Under Settings > Checkout > Form options, is this what your settings look like?:

17-24-aogv4-p63c6

If you’re able to grab a screenshot of the error message, please send it in a reply here (be careful to crop out any sensitive information) and I’ll check in with my team to find out if any other stores have been experiencing this as well as next steps to resolve the issue. 

If necessary, I can also send you an email and escalate this to our Technical Support team for further investigation. In the meantime, I recommend testing this out in another browser and/or on the Shopify mobile app if you haven’t already. Let me know if you see any changes!

Sophia | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes