shipping-calculator.liquid / remember last "GET SHIPPING ESTIMATES" country/state/zip

Highlighted
Shopify Partner
36 0 11

Each time a non-logged in user hits their shopping cart, they are prompted to re-select their city and state and re-enter their zip code in order to get updated shipping estimates.

I'm thinking that shipping-calculator.liquid could be edited to use cookies to at least pre-select the user's last entered values then all they would have to do is hit the "Calculate Shipping" button.

Has anyone already done this? if so, can you post a link to code? 

Thanks!

-R

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
36 0 11

Really? No one thinks this is crazy to require a customer to re-enter their country, state and zip code every time they go back to their cart just to see how much shipping costs?   And then if you are using customer accounts and someone is logged in, it will always default back to their account address even if they change the Country/State/Zip in the shipping estimates function of the cart.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Expert
4101 23 372

The Shipping Calculator provided by Shopify is a convenience, not a necessity, and as such, it seems to have been released to support a certain use pattern and does so fairly well. A customer gets to check a rate before checkout, and get an idea on shipping costs.

If you need accurate shipping off the beaten track of FedEx and UPS, you'll be using your own Shipping Carrier rates anyway, and hence you'll have no choice but to hack in your own Shipping Calculator too. 

You can hack the Shopify one as much as you want and need to! It is single call to a server with an established and defined API setup. If you want to play with cookies and make it super duper better, go for it! No one will stop you and in fact, if you like what you do you could share that with everyone! 

That is kinda the point when playing with open source stuff. Good things usually come of it. 

Custom Shopify Apps built just for you! hunkybill@gmail.com http://www.resistorsoftware.com
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
36 0 11

HBill - I just expect more from a a little more from a mature e-commerce system, open source or not.  Basic checkout/usability stuff like this shouldn't be overlooked.

0 Likes
Highlighted
4 0 0

I'm using the shipping calculator on the product page and it's not working for users who are not logged in, can I fix this? And how can I change the error messages?

0 Likes