shipping costs multiplied rather than combined

Highlighted
5 0 0

We're having a hard time figuring out how to combine shipping when a person orders multiples of the same item. For example, we have 32 drawer pulls available. When a customer orders 6, the shipping charge is 6x the shipping cost for the item, which gets ridiculous and loses us sales. If it costs us $5 flat-rate to ship one, it also costs us $5 flat rate to ship 6, but the customer is charged $30 for shipping of those six items, even though they'd go out in one box for much less. Thanks in advance for any suggestions on how to set things up to handle this correctly. All I can find are apps that merge orders, not that combine shipping for items. 

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
527 26 57

Hi, @AFCF !

Katy here from Shopify. I hope all is great with you and thanks for reaching out.

I can certainly see how you would like to fix this up, particularly when your shipping overheads for these items are not that high. It's great to be able to offer your customer more reasonable rates, not to mention more enticing for them to complete their purchases. 

While it is a little difficult to determine without seeing your store's shipping settings, it does however sound like you may need to increase the range which you have set for your some of your shipping rates.

The default shipping settings offered within the Shopify admin are - weight based rates and price based rates. We have some more info on this here.

This is automatically calculated per total order amount. So for example if you were basing your rates on price, you could take the price of each of your drawer pulls - and then increase the 'maximum order price' in your shipping rate to x6 of these items. Something like this: 

25-19-wvjn8-9dpaj

This can be set up similarly for any weight based rates also.

I think the above would work for your specific situation. Though if you would like to have per-product shipping rates, this is where you would then need an app. There are some options below:

Each of these apps would require you to have carrier calculated shipping added to your account to be able to use them. This is something that is free with the Advanced Shopify plan and also free with annual billing (which would offer you a further 10% saving on your overall bill). Alternatively, it can be added to any other plan for an additional fee of $20 per month.

I would encourage you to explore the default options first, and if you feel you would like to offer separate shipping rates for each item (taking into account the other items that you have in your store) you could then explore the use of an app.

I hope this helps, though do feel free to let me know if you have any questions at all.

Cheers,

Katy

Katy | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes