Solved

shipping must include using paypal express

faceproject
Visitor
2 0 0

HI..
i'm new in spotify..
right now I try to open shop in shopify, and setting payment method with paypal express..
the problem is when customer buy something, they can buy the item without follow shipping step..
image.png

so the question how to disable pay button at the first step?

so buyer have to follow all step, and after all this, they pay with paypal button..

thanks in advance

Accepted Solution (1)
Nick
Shopify Staff (Retired)
4531 434 1024

This is an accepted solution.

No problem at all @faceproject.

PayPal wouldn't calculate the shipping cost, but the shipping settings from your admin would come into effect here yes. Here's how it would work:

The customer is taken to PayPal, where PayPal collects their shipping and billing addresses. After that, the shopper returns to Shopify where they pick a shipping rate and enter discount codes (if applicable). The price is updated accordingly and, on that same page, the customer gets to finalize their transaction.

Hopefully, that clears it up for you. 🙂

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

View solution in original post

Replies 14 (14)

Nick
Shopify Staff (Retired)
4531 434 1024

Hi @faceproject,

Nick here from Shopify. 

Great question about this. It does seem like it might skip the entire shipping aspect of the process, but this is included when the customer goes to their PayPal profile. You can see an example of how it might look from the screenshot I took from a live store below:

15-11-2l3ny-i80i1

The idea of this PayPal checkout is that it's "Express" and has fewer steps for the customer which is what happens here. Because the customer's address is already in their PayPal account it takes this into consideration to make the checkout process shorter. 

With that being said, if you would still like to look into removing the PayPal Express Checkout buy button, it is possible. There is a helpful guide which you might find useful for this which you can see here. The way it works is simple but a little weird. 

If 

`{{ content_for_additional_checkout_buttons }}`

is present in cart-template.liquid then the PayPal button will show on the cart page BUT it will not show on the first step of the checkout. 

If 

{{ content_for_additional_checkout_buttons }}

is NOT present in cart-template.liquid then the PayPal buttons will NOT show on the cart page BUT they will show on the first step of the checkout.

If you don’t want the buttons to appear on the cart page and first step of checkout, and only on the last step of checkout (payment methods) then you need to have the following code:

{% if additional_checkout_buttons %}
  <div class="additional-checkout-buttons">
    {{ content_for_additional_checkout_buttons }}
  </div>
{% endif %}

on the cart page and you can then add the following:

.additional-checkout-buttons {
display: none;
}

to the bottom of theme.scss.liquid file. 

Hopefully, this helps and gives you an idea of your options and where to go next. 

All the best, Nick

faceproject
Visitor
2 0 0

hi..

thank you for the feedback..

so this mean paypal can calculate the shipping cost?

but now in shopify panel I set manually the shipping cost like this, can paypal read my list like this ?

Snap 2019-05-16 at 12.00.45.jpg

thank you

Nick
Shopify Staff (Retired)
4531 434 1024

This is an accepted solution.

No problem at all @faceproject.

PayPal wouldn't calculate the shipping cost, but the shipping settings from your admin would come into effect here yes. Here's how it would work:

The customer is taken to PayPal, where PayPal collects their shipping and billing addresses. After that, the shopper returns to Shopify where they pick a shipping rate and enter discount codes (if applicable). The price is updated accordingly and, on that same page, the customer gets to finalize their transaction.

Hopefully, that clears it up for you. 🙂

Gabriel_MH
Visitor
3 0 0

Hi Nick,

Seems that the css edit solution to hide the Paypal Express Checkout button before the shipping step does not work anymore.

I am about to remove PayPal from the payment providers of my store.

How come Paypal impose the button before the shipping step? 

Nick
Shopify Staff (Retired)
4531 434 1024

Hi @Gabriel_MH,

Thanks for letting us know about that about the CSS solution. Did you try it? 

How come Paypal impose the button before the shipping step? 

The reason for this is that it is an express checkout. It expedites the checkout process and takes the customer information from PayPal after they log in, where it would get their address. 

Gabriel_MH
Visitor
3 0 0

Hi Nick,

First of all, I don't want the express checkout because of the confusion it brings to the funnel: since it is displayed at the shipping information page, customers tends to  think that it is the only payment provider available.

Regarding the css edit option, Shopify lets us modify the code only until a certain step of the funnel; the PayPal express checkout button is outside this perimeter.

My point is that PayPal could let the store owner decide between 1. having both the express checkout (at the shipping information page) and the "pay with PayPal" checkout (at the final step, with other payment providers) and 2. having only the"pay with PayPal" checkout.

But they impose to use both, and for this reason I chose to disconnect PayPal from our store.

Nick
Shopify Staff (Retired)
4531 434 1024

Thanks for letting me know Gabriel. 

I'll be sure to let our team know and aware of this. Regarding the PayPal aspect, it could be worth reaching out to PayPal about this directly and giving them this feedback too. 

Thanks again, Nick

Gabriel_MH
Visitor
3 0 0

I will let PayPal teams investigate the reason why store owners deactivate their solution, it is their job after all.

4Exploradores
Visitor
2 0 1

I'm having the same issue. Is there not an option to just add paypal as one of the checkout methods along with the credit cards instead of forcing the "express" option?

Nick
Shopify Staff (Retired)
4531 434 1024

Hi @4Exploradores,

PayPal Express is the only available PayPal checkout method available. I'm not sure why exactly that is to be perfectly honest. Shopify does have a document going through everything to do with supported PayPal providers which you can read here

Bento75
11 0 0

I am experiencing the same issue.  I don't understand how the PayPal Express Checkout is of any use whatsoever to any merchant if you can't apply shipping.

I don't see any option other than to remove PayPal completely, which I'm far from thrilled about.

Surely this is a major issue the Shopify and PayPal need to sort out between themselves as a priority.

Tholomew
Tourist
8 0 7

I am also having a lot of issues with PayPal express on our store. Multiple per week. PayPal only show the cost of the products not the shipping so customers get confused and abandon. 

Other times PayPal will charge the full cost including shipping the another line in bank statement will show for the shipping cost. After 3 days the pending payment in the customers bank account will disappear but it is really frustrating for customers and confusing. I have numerous emails I can provide from customers to show the confusion.

I am ready to remove PayPal, I wish as others said above that there was a non express option that didn't introduce all these strange behaviours.

terved
Visitor
1 0 0

hello everyone.

Has this problem been solved yet?? I am facing the same problem.  The customer checks out without the shipping fees. I had to disable it but it does make the store lose clients as they should have many options when it comes to paying.

soulchild37
Shopify Partner
163 9 46

Hi Faceproject,

I have made an app to hide the Paypal Express (and other express checkout method like Apple Pay, Google Pay etc) on the top part of checkout page, and customer can still select Paypal method at the payment step.

hide_express.gif

The app is made using native Shopify functions, thus it does not affect your store existing layout or functionality at all.

The app name is Yagi Express Payment Hider (https://apps.shopify.com/yagi-express-payment-hider)

Hope this can help!

Regards,

Axel Kee

Spent too much support time dealing with order cancellation request from customer? Wouldn't it be good if customer can cancel order on their own without bugging your support? Try out Cancellable app! https://apps.shopify.com/cancellable . I also write articles about store customization that can improve your customer shopping experience here : Yagi Software Blog