shipping two product sizes

Highlighted
1 0 0

Shopify help came up blank with my problem.  My shop has two product sizes.  One book is 9” x 6” x 1.5” and 1 pound weight.  The larger book is 12” x 9” x 2.5” and 3 pound weight.  The smaller book fits a flat rate, padded envelope.  The larger fits a flat rate, medium, box.   At checkout there is no way to match the shipping package with the right product.  I want to keep the shipping as low as possible.  How to do this?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
3073 231 503

Hi Frank, 

Nick here from Shopify. 

This is something which is definitely possible and natively from the Shopify admin also. It will take a bit of set up work, but once done it works like a charm. I did a test for it on my test store and will go through the steps with you now. 

1. Once you have your products set up, be sure to add the weight of the products in the product admin page as seen here. This is very important as it correlates directly with the next step. 
  2. The next step is to create the shipping rate for the product in the Shipping settings (Settings > Shipping > Weight Based Rates). Create a shipping rate for the product specifically as seen here. The weight metric in the shipping setting is in kg only, so I converted the lbs to kg's for this instance. The best workaround for this should there be multiple different shipping settings is to make the maximum and minimum weight the exact same to match the product. 
  3. And when the order goes through, it should be the only shipping option available as seen here

You would just need to repeat this process with a different product and different weight to achieve the same outcome. Shopify's helpful guide on setting up Shipping settings might also be worth reading over before embarking on this setup. You can read it by clicking here

All the best. Nick

Nick | Community Moderator @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes