Extending Shopify Scripts Beyond the Cart

Highlighted
Shopify Partner
57 0 20

Are there any plans to extend Shopify Scripts to other areas of the front-end and/or dashboard? I can see checkout scripts being a logical next step.

Shopify Plus Developer | Get in touch: blakewenloe@yahoo.com
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
1365 24 238

That would be helpful.

You can extent the admin dashboard with a browser extension. That would allow to inject content scripts and interact with it. Not the cleanest solution but it works.

https://sections.design tips, tricks & Shopify sections
1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
57 0 20

Yeah Chrome extensions turned out to be a surprisingly useful solution. I think we really need solutions that can be automated for clients with minimal hands-on afterwards. Hopefully we'll see more open up soon! Especially in the dashboard environment.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
1365 24 238

I agree, extensions are powerful and can help clients but what we need is a way to extend the dashboard.

https://sections.design tips, tricks & Shopify sections
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
81 0 11

@Blake can you explain what you mean? I'm curious.

> I can see checkout scripts being a logical next step

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
57 0 20

I'll try not to write a book haha. For the merchant, the checkout is the finish line. If we take care of any issues that may occur in the sales process (up to and including the cart) and then the customer trips over a hurdle right before the finish line, we all kind of lose the race. Abandoned carts are a thorn in the merchant's side and we can't prevent all of them. It's inevitable. We can only do our best to make sure we aren't the reason a customer chose not to convert to a sale.

So with the cart being the starting point, it stands to reason that checkout scripts are the next logical step to take in the direction of improving the platform and merchant success.

A few of the problems that I can raddle off at the moment:
Customers stacking discount codes.
Customers not getting their free shipping discount because they used a coupon code at checkout and it brought them under the threshold. A lot of these shipping, payment, discount and miscommunication issues all happen just outside of our reach.

This post about draft orders API shows another use case.

To put the potential uses in perspective, I was able to write a ruby script to solve some price level issues a Plus client was having the same day the cart scripts were made available. It was clean, very short time to deployment and the merchant will never have to bother with it. Not to mention scripts are much more portable.

2 Likes