Offer Free Shipping when specific discount code used

Highlighted
3 0 0

Hi,

I'm trying to find a workaround with not being able to do stacked promotions. We want to offer our customers $85 off on their order + Free Shipping. Is there any way to do this logic with script? Logic would be when code "HOLIDAY" is used, offer Free Standard Ground Shipping.

Much appreciated!

Thanks!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
19 0 3

Hey Josie,
Yes that can definitely be done using scripts. You can create a shipping script on the basis of discount code applied in cart.
Can you please tell the complete name of shipping rate which will be free ?
Thanks.

0 Likes
Highlighted
3 0 0

Hi Rahul,

thats great news! The full name of the shipping is : FedEx Home Delivery® (I'm shipping this to a house or apartment) - as per how it’s written in a Shopify. 

Are we able to offer 2 types of shipping services free? If so the second if possible would be : FedEx Ground® (I'm shipping this to a business)

thank you for your help!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
138 14 35

Hey, Josie.

Sunny here from the Shopify Guru team!

Although what you are looking to achieve isn't a native feature on the Shopify platform just yet (fingers crossed), there is a way we can manipulate the system without a script that allows you to create your desired discount and I'd be happy to walk you through how to set that up. 

For your $85 off + free shipping discount, I am going to assume that there must be a minimum purchase price rule for this discount considering someone could get a product free if the original price is $85. So for this example, I am going to set a rule that this discount can only apply if the customer spends a minimum of $200, and anything below that will not work. 

The two areas within the admin we will be working with are the Discounts section and the Shipping section. To start, head over to your Shopify admin > Discounts > Create Discount. You will want your discount to have a title, discount fixed amount price and a minimum purchase price:

Once you have your discount in place, head over to Settings > Shipping > "Edit"  Shipping Zone > under Price Based Rates click "Add rate" > enter relevant information which would look something like this:

The reason the minimum amount is set to $115 is because it represents the minimum order value (after the discount has been applied). Any cart that is below $115 will not see the free ground shipping option.

That's all there is to it and here is what the finished product would look like: 
For testing purposes, I tried to apply the HOLIDAY discount to a product that was below $200 and as you can see, the discount pulled an error as expected: 

Same goes with the free ground shipping when the cart is below $115:

If you want to read more about how our discounts work, follow this link here, and here if you want to learn more about how to create free shipping rates. 

Something to note with this workaround is that the free ground shipping rule we created will appear automatically to your customers who's carts are $115 and above, regardless of if they use the HOLIDAY discount code or not. What we did is create two different discounts styles, using discounts and the shipping section, that will work together, but they are not exclusive to each other. It's just something you will want to keep in mind. 

Let me know if you have any questions about this. We are here for you 24/7!

Sunny | Shopify Guru

Sunny | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

1 Like
Highlighted
1 0 0

The back end for the shipping seems to have a changed since this was posted. Is there still a way to do this?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
523 1 8

I would also like to know this. Also, just to know how people are handling shipping, what if instead of using a coupon, i decide to to use Free Shipping on certain days without using coupon codes? Is it possible to do this?

0 Likes