PLEASE HELP

Dylan_Barr
8 0 0

I ran my website in the Google PageSpeed and it says i need to "Eliminate render-blocking javascript and css", "leverage browser caching" as well as "minify javascript". How would one do these things, im not super knowledgeable about editing code or anything like that but i really need to do this as it will help my conversions and bounce rate, if you have any advice or any how-to's it woud be much appreciated! Thank you!

0 Likes
Victor_Nizeyima
3 0 0

Hi Dylan,

Loading of each page in the internet goes from top to bottom. As you may see from your code, the script is written in the beginning of the code. To speed up the loading, you should remove the script from the beginning and put it in the end of your code.

In case if you are not experienced in coding, I wouldn’t recommend you to move code by yourself, as in certain cases that can cause that the Theme would load incorrect. If you need help with this you can drop me a email at me@mrclarify.com i will help you to solve this problem.

0 Likes
Anders3
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
224 1 41

Hi, Dylan!

Anders from the Shopify Social Care team here. Thanks for reaching out today.

Also, thank for you for the input, Victor! The page speed insight that Google provides is great for webmasters who are already experiencing slow load times on their websites. However, if your website does not have any issues with loading, then the page speed insight won't be able to improve your page load times in significant ways.

Google Pagespeed insights, though a great tool, is designed for more traditionally structured websites. The problem with this tool is that when it evaluates a website such as a Shopify store, its advice can at times not be totally accurate. Optimize image warnings can absolutely be adhered to, but render blocking javascript, minify javascript, and minify HTML do not impair the speed and functionality of your site significantly in practice.

For example, 'render-blocking javascript' is in reference to javascript that runs before the rest of the page beings to load, the way a Shopify site handles and serves these scripts makes it not so much of an issue. This is just something Google sees, not something it has diagnosed. For more information on how to interpret these results, I suggest viewing over this article here. It covers this information in more detail!

Have you been noticing any significant slow load times on your end? Most often, it's tied to the size of images and reactive elements on the page. 

Anders3 | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Dylan_Barr
8 0 0

I added the Crush.pics app and it helped boost my speed by insane amount, I've been going back and forth between PageSpeed and GTmetrix and i got my load speed from 9.1 sec to 3.2 sec and im pretty happy about that, I also watched a few videos on how to render the javascripts and it actually helped alot more than i expected but, another question i have us leveraging browser cache... Any advice on that?

0 Likes
Nazreen
4 0 0

Seems like Shopify doesnt have a straight solution for us to leverage browser cache. As a developer who need to pull in a few request, this is essential for my site. 

For images, I fetch all the images from the 'assets' folder. I wonder if there is a specific code we can inject to include 'header expiry' on the liquid file.

Looking forward to their reply on this.

0 Likes