Prevent Discount Codes from Being Used on Certain Products

Tourist
6 0 2

Dear Jurgen

This has been a long thread with many twists and turns. I am wonder what the end game is at this point?

I have coupon codes all over the web - on FB, Instagram, Pinterest, etc, each ad or promo has their own code. I offer new codes in my newsletter twice a week and I have codes on Groupon and other sites like it. I also give codes to folks like you who help me out, star customers or shopify gurus, etc.

Meanwhile my sales change weekly and it would be impossible to create a collection that prevents the use of a coupon code on that collection only, as there are so many variables out there at any point in time.

What I am looking for is a way to code my shop so that coupon codes will not further discount any item whose comparison price is greater than its actual price, i.e. anything thats on sale.

PS anyone who can create an app that does this - I believe every single shop owner at Shopify and across the web wants this feature. Double dipping can be brutal!

Is that possible? And if so, can I have instructions please?

Thanks so much!

Saphir

FestivalFireFashion.com

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
221 0 13

Hey Saphir,

One of Shopifys characteristics on cupons, is that you can only use 1 cupon per order. It does not lets you stack cupons or discounts. What could actually happen is that a customer might use a cupon on a product which has a discount via a discount price at the store. This would be a stacking discount as he is getting a discount with a cupon over a product with a price discount. What you can acutally do ins this case is check with Shopify Scripts if any product on the cart has a compare_at_price value. If it does, check the discount type and amount the cupon is giving (Save it on a variable or something for later use), disable the cupon with a message like "Cupon cant be applied on all products on the cart, the discount will be applied only to products with no discount." or something like that. Finally apply the discount of the cupon to each of the products which do not have compare_at_price and presto. Shopify Scripts are really powerfull if you are up to do workarounds like that. Its not that simple to do, but its not imposible as well. The preview tool on Shopify Scripts will help you test the code you made. And its fun times to make scripts like that haha. 

The problem with making an app like the one you mention, if it is possible, is each store holds its own way of making discounts. The reason why I think its not possible, Im not 100% sure, but I think an app can't decline a cupon from the checkout page. As far as I know that is haha. Im no Shopify Expert on the side of the API I still have a lot to learn, but unless Shopify gave access to Scripts via the API or a way of modifying a cart on the checkout page, I see no way to makeing a cupon only affect products which do not have a discount already. 

Hope this helps :D If you need help creating the Shopify Script Code for your store, I would be more then glad to help :P

Cheers :D

Entrepreneur, Developer, Geek, Gamer and very passionate about WEB development! :P

Need help with your Shopify Store? Contact me: jfeuchter@gmail.com :D
0 Likes
Tourist
6 0 2

Hi Jurgen,

Thanks for your notes.
Yes, I am creating my discounts with a sale app. that marks down the actual price and moves the original price to comparison price. My customer find it wonderful to use a coupon code on something that is already on sale and it cuts past my margin.

What would it take for you to craft this for me? I am using Supply theme. My store is FestivalFireFashion.com - what else do you need to look into it?

I am also sending your notes on to a friend who is interested in crafting this for his store.

PS I am using the Sale Rack app but am planning to switch to Product Discount app. Sale Rack has a lot of glitches.

Saphir

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
221 0 13

I do understand the problem with that, we where expirencing the same thing on our store. So what we did is we disbale almost all cupons when price sales are on. I havent really work on the Shopify Scripts solution. Though if you need it and have Shopify Script available I could work on it though Im not sure if you have that option available. Are you a Shopify Plus Merchant? Cause like I said via the API Im not 100% sure its possible to do this. Maybe another workaround would be to disable the cupon textbox in the checkout if the cart has a discount price product, but you would need access to the checkout.liquid. I think advance do have this option available. Let me know if you would like to try something out, contact me at jfeuchter@gmail.com.

We have used Product Discount App from Bold Apps since the begining and its really nice! I can get you an extended trial if you wish :P I am a partner with them. Though its only one payment of $ 99 dllrs to use it forever. So Im not sure how well a extended trial would be that game chagning haha. We do use many of their apps as well. Contact me if you want me to help you with those apps :D Ill be happy to help.

Cheers! 

Jurgen

Entrepreneur, Developer, Geek, Gamer and very passionate about WEB development! :P

0 Likes
Tourist
6 0 2

Hi Jurgen,

I'm sorry to say that I can't disable the coupons or the sale one or the other - they apply to different markets. I have a sale page on the store for newcomers that drives my new sales (that changes every 2 weeks), and a 2X week newsletter with sale pricing from the sale in it. Then I have coupons all over the web all the time, driving traffic from many destinations. I can't disable one or the other, they are both driving traffic.

I am not Shopify Plus and I'll need to get scripts once I know its a solution. Sounds like you haven't really tried it and aren't sure you can make it happen? Am I understanding correctly? Or do you think you can make it happen?

Saphir

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
221 0 13

Hey Saphir,

Sorry for the late reply, I did write a message but I guess I forgot to post it or something haha. Eiterhway I see what your talking about. I've implemented a few solutions like the one I discribed for our store, so Im pretty sure what i told you can be done. Thought the Shopify Scripts feature as far as I know is a strictly Plus feature. Im not sure its something you can pay to get. As for a workaround using API or something I would need to look into it see if something can be done. Ill do some research tonight and hopefully get back to you tomorrow. Something else you could try is ask for a cost with a team like bold apps or any such team to see at least if what you need can be build using the API. 

Speak to you soon.

Cheers! :D 

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

Any updates on this?

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
133 0 2

I see you want to edit some functions of Shopify discount code. If you need to use discounts without code, I am glad to share an app which can create discount campaigns. You can apply a discount to certain products or even all products. Autoketng developer has Discount Master app. You set up discount campaigns including name, time, discount type, override cent, etc. It has two extra features: countdown timer and stock countdown. 

0 Likes