Solved

What to do when a Shopify customer seemingly refuses delivery?

prettyjewellery
7 0 0
Hi all,

I have a question. I have a Shopify shop based in UK. There's one customer in the EU country ordered something from my store last Dec. Today I check the delivery status on Royal Mail website, and it shows that "Our delivery partner tried to deliver your parcel on 12-01-2021 but there didn't seem to be anyone in. They’ve left a note about how to make further arrangements."

What does that mean? Could it be that the customer rejects the delivery, and then I may have to issue a refund? But this customer never contacts me about they no longer want the item. So, what should I do in this situation? 

Also, the parcel left UK to this EU country on Dec. 18 before UK left EU on Dec. 31 last year. So I don't know if the parcel I sent before the transition would be subjected to the EU laws in terms of exporting & importing?

I really appreciate any help. I thank you in advance. 

Sparkly Dolls jewellery
Accepted Solutions (2)

JHKCreate
Shopify Expert
3571 639 916

This is an accepted solution.

Hi @prettyjewellery ,

If this update only happened once it means the client was not available for delivery, not necessary that they don't want it. We suggest you reach out to your customer and advise that a delivery attempt has been made in case they were not informed.

Did we solve your issue? Like & Mark As Solution to help the community
Should you need any direct help: contact@jhkcreate.com

Learn more about us: jhkcreate.com

View solution in original post

JHKCreate
Shopify Expert
3571 639 916

We would recommend you also communicate with your shipping carrier so they don't return the package after a long period of time being idle to avoid paying for shipping a second time should the customer want the package. 

View solution in original post

Replies 7 (7)

JHKCreate
Shopify Expert
3571 639 916

Hi @prettyjewellery ,

If this update only happened once it means the client was not available for delivery, not necessary that they don't want it. We suggest you reach out to your customer and advise that a delivery attempt has been made in case they were not informed.

prettyjewellery
7 0 0

Hi,

Well, maybe I will try to send an email to inform them, then. What if no one is actually there? Maybe she's sick in a hospital or something. 

JHKCreate
Shopify Expert
3571 639 916

We would recommend you also communicate with your shipping carrier so they don't return the package after a long period of time being idle to avoid paying for shipping a second time should the customer want the package. 

prettyjewellery
7 0 0

Thank you so much for you help. I really appreciate it. I had just sent her an email. On Monday, I will also contact Royal Mail regarding the parcel. 

Take care.

Mr-Flo
Explorer
73 8 34

Hi,

the only thing you can do is contacting UK Post service, those are your partner and are solely responsible for delivery. 

UK Post --> Forward to example Germany DHL --> DHL won't give you info because not allowed. 

What can happen, it gets destroyed the item or shipped back at your expense (Depends on your shipping rule). As the customer paid in Dez, he is fully covered with E-commerce EU law. 

So when the item goes back to you, you have to fully refund the Item price and shipping costs. 

For International, I suggest DHL Express, UPS, FedEx.

Best

prettyjewellery
7 0 0

Hi, 

I have already contacted the customer about the failed delivery attempt, and she has already picked the parcel. So, this issue is now solved. I will close this topic now. 

Thank you for all your help and advice. 

take care.

SP

Mr-Flo
Explorer
73 8 34

happy ending 🙂