I have done mine by location.
So for example for Canada I would do the following
(I personally have not seen a subdomain set up by currency before)
For Canada I have the languages English and French set up (you do need to pick a default) but you can request that the first language shown is the same language in the user's browser.
So on this subdomain the currency is CAD with two languages available and I also have a currency and language switcher set up just in case they wish to change.
I have a few different languages on my store, but it is not recommended to add too many languages to each subdomain as this can negatively impact your SEO ranking.
For each country I have set the default language to the native language of the country and I have included English always too, but I wouldn't suggest adding German or another language to the Canadian subdomain.
Hope this helps!
I have previously always used subdirectories, so I am waiting to see if it is worth spending the extra money on subdomains. Fingers crossed!
p.s yes you can have the same language on different subdomains
Hi Cez1, thanks for sharing your experience! Would you mind sharing a little more?
1. With multiple languages in one site, how does the URL work?
- Do you have ca.example.com/en/ and ca.example.com/fr/?
- or do you have ca.example.com for FR, and ca.example.com/en/ for EN? (or wise-versa?)
- or are there only one URL ca.example.com , while the language is shown depending on user cookie/session?
- are there any flexibility in choosing the URL pattern?
2. Can multiple subdomains accept the same currency?
- Assuming you have ca.example.com and www.example.com , can they BOTH accept USD?
Thanks in advance!
. Can multiple subdomains accept the same currency?
All domains are mapped to a country and its primary currency. So, you can have de.example.com, fr.example.com, nl.example.com etc mapped to Germany, France and Netherlands respectively. They will all have Euro as the default currency.
The only other exception is USD. You can have example.com or us.example.com mapped to United States (USD). You can also create a Rest of World domain like row.example.com and map that t Rest of World region. ROW region defaults to USD.