Expand globally with international domains

Highlighted
5 0 0

Hi,

I am excited about this feature but have a few questions. I have two shopify sites at the moment in Australia and NZ. The AU one is the main one and I would like to combine if this option works well.

1 - How do the custom pages work once - do I make one page "examplepage1"and it will automatically create www.alkaviva.com.au /examplepage1 and www.alkaviva.co.nz / examplepage1

2 - will all the links i create automatically be made for the right page, ie will www.alkaviva.co.nz / examplepage1 links be for NZ pages only not to the original .au website

3 - will buyers in AU be able to buy on the .nz site? I would like to set the currency rate to keep pricing stable but don't want people to take currency 

4 - How would I use terms like Australia in the .com.au page and have them come up as New Zealand in the .co.nz pages

4 - 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
17 0 8

Hey @Dan_Delian!

1. Yes. When you create a page, that page and its contents are automatically created and accessible on all domains.

2. As in 1., when you create pages or content, that content is viewable on all domains. It's possible to conditionally display the content that appears on each domain using the {{ request.host }} liquid filter; this would require the input of a developer or Shopify Partner with working knowledge of liquid.

3. At the moment, buyers will be able to manually purchase from .co.nz/in NZD or .com.au/in AUD, regardless of where they are shipping their order to. We plan to make changes soon so that this does not happen at checkout, and buyers will only be able to checkout in the currency that matches their shipping location (if you choose to setup your currencies in such a manner).

4. Much the same as your second question, you can use the {{ request.host }} liquid filter to customize content that appears within a page on each domain for Australia and New Zealand.

Product Support Network | Shopify
0 Likes
Highlighted
5 0 0

Thanks,

Does that mean that if I have a link to a file or a product on the .Au site then the .nz site will still have the link to the .au site?

Regards,
Dan

www.alkaviva.com.au

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
17 0 8

No. Unless you specifically hard code links into your theme, Shopify will always create your links as relative links, not absolute links.

For example, if you create a page with the URL handle /contact-us and place this page in your main navigation, a buyer browsing from Australia will navigate to website.com.au/pages/contact-us, and a buyer browsing from New Zealand will navigate to website.co.nz/pages/contact-us automatically. Both "Contact Us" pages will display the same content, unless you customize them with the {{ request.host }} filter I previously mentioned, which enables you to conditionally display different content based on the domain being visited

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
6 0 3

Hi there, another question please... 

This question is regarding Social Media sales channels like Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest & Google, and how they work with International domains and/or Shopify Payments Multi-Currency support:

Does Shopify publish product prices to these channels in the currency of the user or does Shopify publish to these sales channels in the Store currency only?

Kind regards,

Julie

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
17 0 8

Hey @Art_JulieMiller, Shopify's sales channels such as Facebook, Instagram and Google Shopping do not yet support multiple currencies; it is something we will be considering.

For remarketing your products in multiple currencies via mechanisms like the Facebook pixel, you can use a product feed app that supports multiple currencies, such as Data Feed Watch.

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
17 0 8

Multiple Google Shopping feeds is another suggestion.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
6 0 3

@coleatkinson thank you so much for your quick answers and your extensive knowledge on this topic. It certainly makes live much easier.

Kind regards,

Julie

1 Like
Highlighted
2 0 0

Hi there,

This thread is super helpful! Thank you!

However, on behalf of all people getting confused --including me-- on how to EVEN GET STARTED on having .de,.fr,.us etc.

Would you be kind enough to give us a step by step procedure using Shopify?

1) From what I've gathered, I need to buy new domain for each country? (shop.de, shop.fr, etc). Do I buy it from a 3rd party domain provider or does Shopify already gives that option?

2) I'm under the impression that this requires a separate Shopify store for each country? Then that's a huge workload. Unless I'm missing something.

3) Confused about how subdomain works on Shopify and how I can set it up. We are using Basic Shopify plan.

Looking forward to your kind response.

Sincerely

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
17 0 8

Hi @cool_kid1! I think the answers to most of your questions are address in the steps provided in the international domains help docs:

1. You don't need to buy a new domain for each country - you can use this feature with subdomains if you wish to. If you have a domain purchased from Shopify, you can set up a subdomain directly within the admin (Online Store --> Domains --> Manage). If you're using a domain from a 3rd party, you will need to refer to their instructions to create this, and then you can connect it to Shopify.
  2. If you do want to use top level domains for international targeting (e.g. website.com, website.ca, website.fr) then yes you would need to purchase these. You can do this directly in Shopify or with a 3rd party domain provider of your choice - either will work with this feature.
  3. No, you do not need a separate store for each country. The idea of international domains is that you can expand internationally within a single store.

The international domains feature is only available to merchants on the Shopify plan or higher, so to see all the options we are talking about you would need to upgrade from Basic Shopify.

1 Like