How to avoid duplicate content ?

LuisaP
Excursionist
22 2 11

Hello

We manage an online shop in french and EUR that is www.luisa-paixao.com

We have translated the shop using langify app to sell in Europe in EUR with www.luisa-paixao.eu

A big part of the orders are coming from USA !!??

Good ! We decided to open a new Shopify account in USD, we linked it to the other one with Syncio and we are ready to start to sell in the USA in USD with www.luisa-paixao.us

BUT 

www.luisa-paixao.eu and www.luisa-paixao.us are exactly the same and as we have worked a lot on our SEO, We don't want to loose our positions because of duplicate content.

Could you help by sharing tips and best practices ?

Replies 10 (10)

coleatkinson
Shopify Staff
141 13 74

Hi @LuisaP, thanks for your post.

Are you selling to these markets from individual Shopify stores, or have you expanded and done translations all from a single store?

Cole | Product @Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

LuisaP
Excursionist
22 2 11

We are selling to US and EU market from 2 separate Shopify accounts (one in EUR and one in USD)

coleatkinson
Shopify Staff
141 13 74

Ok, for what you are doing, it's very possible to do this all from a single Shopify store - this way the SEO is handled for you already and duplicate content does not appear.

If you choose to continue to run from multiple sites, then you will need to implement hreflang tags in your site's theme to indicate to Google and other search engines which site corresponds to which country/region: https://help.shopify.com/en/themes/development/theme-store-requirements/internationalizing/using-hre...

Cole | Product @Shopify 

LuisaP
Excursionist
22 2 11

No, we can't do that from a single shopify store... The checkout can't be in EUR and in USD

Jonathant43
Visitor
1 0 0

Was there ever a resolution of this under 1 store. I just can't see why it's not a functionality of shopify. The hreflang workaround works but would rather have it managed under one domain/store.

coleatkinson
Shopify Staff
141 13 74

Hey @Jonathant43 - are you referring to managing duplicate content or selling in multiple currencies from a single store?

If you are able to use Shopify Payments, you can already do both of these things:

• Sell in multiple currencies
  • Use international domains which targets different countries/regions with specific URLs, pricing, and languages, while Shopify automatically handles SEO and duplicate content for you

Cole | Product @Shopify 

LuisaP
Excursionist
22 2 11

To close the debate

- We want to manage our sales in UE and in USA from 2 different Shopify accounts then we can manage our US / UE products offer, our US / UE email marketing, our US / UE offers, our US / UE advertising.... more easily

- We worked on the hreflang implementation 

It seems Google understand that there is 2 website, almost the same but not for the same countries.

seanysean
Excursionist
18 0 5

HI

I'm not sure you should wish to close a debate on this with @coleatkinson who is one of Shopify's experts on Internationalisation. It would help if you can be clear on how you are using the terms stores and account.

Shopify allows you to have multiple stores from within one account using their new International Domains setup. As Cole mentioned the href lang and sitemap management is taken care for you. You will need a store switcher such as Shopify's own 'Geolocation App'

If you require expert help I would perhaps reach out to Cole and/or Shopify Support.

One last thing, you will need to be on Shopify Plus for these options.

Sean

coleatkinson
Shopify Staff
141 13 74

Thanks Sean! Happy to help if anyone has outstanding questions or concerns.

One clarification - you don't need to be on Shopify Plus 🙂 This is available to all Shopify Payments merchants on the Shopify Plan and above.

Cole | Product @Shopify 

Propelguru
Trailblazer
313 7 44

Using top-level domains: It is used to help us serve the exact version of a document. The use of top-level domains whenever possible to handle country-specific content Is very beneficial.

Link carefully: if you post on other pages, Google will always show users what we think is different on each search, whether you are different or not. However, it helps to make sure that every page of your content is related to your previous article.

Reduce the amount of repetitive heat: instead of putting a long text about the copyright under each page, add a short text, and then look at the page in detail. You can also use the settlement management tool to find out how Google manages the landing URL.

Avoid publishing stubs: Users don't like seeing "empty" pages, so avoid placeholders where possible. 

Understand System Management: Make sure you are familiar with the description of the content of your website. Blogs, forums, and networking systems often show the same platform on more than one platform.

Minimize Duplicates: If you have many similar pages, consider enlarging or merging each page. For example, if you have a website with different pages for two cities, but both pages have the same information, you can combine pages for both cities into pages.