How does Brexit affect repair and return costs for EU to UK items?

thebluehound
Explorer
52 0 10

Hi, I have a customer that bought a piece from our shop in the EU 2 years ago.  The piece needs repaired and he is in the UK.  In regards to Brexit, how should this be handled?  He'll ship the piece back to me, but when I repair and return, how will he be charged?  While the original price for the piece is over €200, will he have to pay duty again?  If I ship it back claiming just the repair cost (actually there is no repair cost so I would just mark it at €10), do I have to collect UK VAT on it?  Thanks

Replies 3 (3)

Andrew
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1746 173 318

Hi @thebluehound,

Hyde here from Shopify. Great question!

Brexit has been disruptive in many respects and has required significant adaptation, not least of all in terms of shipping and tax. We do have a guide about UK taxes and Brexit right here, and the closest approximation to an answer to your question is provided here:

21-04-f9tic-mpdgn

Yet the truth is that our document is far from comprehensive, so in order to get the most definitive answers you would need to contact your local tax authority.

I hope this helps!

All the best, Hyde.

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

thebluehound
Explorer
52 0 10

Hi, thanks for your response.  Unfortunately, I knew all of this which is why I stopped selling to the UK.  I'm just trying to figure out a very specific circumstance where the shipping of an item is a repair and not a sale.  Maybe I just have to look for information of sending a 'gift'.  

Andrew
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1746 173 318

I think that sounds like a good idea! Consulting with your local tax expert as to whether a "gift" status may help sounds like a plan. -Hyde

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.