Shopify merchants can now control international pricing per region

LibertineFragra
2 0 0

Hey there,

I have been trying to switch from running two regional websites and it looks like these feautures may work to do that for me. I had a question about functionality though,

If I use regional subdomains for my US and Canadian prices. I am aware that you can set up an automatic redirect to put the shopper on the right page with the right currency. Can you remove the dropdown currency selector though? I want people to see the prices in their respective countries but it seems like the selector is always there with multicurrency allowing customers to see prices in other countries which I don't really want them to be able to do. 

Any insight would be appreciated!

0 Likes
hashiromer
Explorer
47 3 12

You can remove currency selector by removing the relevant liquid code snippet. I am not sure if it is possible without delving into code.

0 Likes
HymnZ
Shopify Partner
389 5 50

Sorry, but this is ridiculously misleading. I'm surprised every time Shopify staff announces something in conjecture with Shopify Payments, they conveniently forget the fact that Shopify merchants come from 100+ country where Shopify Payments isn't supported and generalize by saying "Shopify merchants".

For anyone coming in here new, this entire thread is applicable to only those merchants who are from 17 countries supported by Shopify for Shopify payments.

My speciality lies in making Shopify work for your requirements, not the other way round. HMU on email: hymnz@outlook.com or on skype: hymnzzy

If you like my work, consider supporting me :) https://www.buymeacoffee.com/hymnz
coleatkinson
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
67 0 33

Hi @LibertineFragra,

We'd recommend keeping a country selector in the footer of your site. IP address detection and automatic redirection are not correct 100% of the time, and you should always leave your customers the opportunity to change experiences if they wish to. This is also in line with Google's best practices which recommend to website owners that visitors can always navigate to regional variations of your site.

If you use international pricing, what you can be assured of is that if a US buyer tries to check out in Canadian dollars, for example, we will switch their pricing to USD at checkout. So your buyers should never be able to "cheat" your pricing system, and the price you set for each country/region is honoured in the relevant currency.

Let me know if this doesn't make sense!

Cole Atkinson | Product @ Shopify
smithy1
1 0 0

make sense ' not A clue

0 Likes
artiecodes
Tourist
3 0 1

Hi @coleatkinson can you give us an idea of when this solution will extend to:

• Maintaining the presentment currency for manual payment methods such as 'Bank deposit'? (for context, details of the specific issue are detailed here)
  • Reporting - the ability to view sales data split out into presentment currencies, rather than just the base currency?

0 Likes
coleatkinson
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
67 0 33
Manual payment methods is something our team is aware of and looking to
address, but there isn't a timeline at the moment.

There is already a sales report by currency (Analytics --> reports -->
sales --> sales by checkout currency). At the moment, there aren't plans to
expand reporting beyond this in the near future.
0 Likes
artiecodes
Tourist
3 0 1

Thanks for the reply @coleatkinson!

Fingers crossed the manual payments issue gets resolved promptly.

And thanks for the direction to that report!

Mandatum
2 0 0

Cole,

Thanks. We are ready to launch our App. It works under the "usage charge" approach. Do we need a solution like this one? 

0 Likes
coleatkinson
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
67 0 33
Hi there, sorry I am not 100% clear on what your question is. International
pricing is for merchants to offer different pricing in different countries.
0 Likes