Shopify merchants can now control international pricing per region

Mandatum
2 0 0

Thanks for the reply.  Sorry for the lack of clarity.  Let me try to explain better to see if you could help us or point us in the right direction. 

We built an app and the idea is to make money under the "Usage Charge" approach.  Thus, we will make a % of the merchant proceeds.  That % is fixed and it works with any merchant that downloads our app.  Shopify collects the money and then Shopify pays us.  Based on the foregoing, we were assuming that we could operate with any merchant in the world.  Then, we saw your posting. We are wondering if we have to limit our launch to companies in the USA and Canada only. 

Please let us know if you could help us or point u to the right person in Shopify to discuss.  Thanks. 

0 Likes
coleatkinson
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
67 0 33
This won't affect your Usage Charge approach, since all transactions settle
in a single currency on the merchant's shop (while buyer's pay in their
local currency).

I would reach out to our Partner Support team if you need any more clarity!
Cole Atkinson | Product @ Shopify
0 Likes
IRP
Tourist
3 1 0

Hello. Ok, so a few point to fully understand. I sell in Germany and Spain, different prices but same currency. Lets say I have product A that sells at 90€ in Spain and 100€ in Germany. My questions is:

a) my German customer will see the prices straight for them or is there a strange change in the payment gate? I presume that straight ahead they only see the German price if they are from Germany.

b) If a German customer buying from Germany wants to buy a product from spain how can I block the price so they don't buy at a lower price? this is, German prices only for Germany, Spanish prices only for Spain and so on.

Thanks a lot

0 Likes
coleatkinson
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
67 0 33

Thanks for the question @IRP.

What we'd recommend doing is using our Geolocation app. This will recommend to your customers from Germany, France, and anywhere else you offer local pricing, to switch to their local version of your site. This changes the currency, language (if applicable) and pricing at the same time.

If a German customer switches back to Spain, for example, once they get to checkout and try to ship to Germany, the 100EUR price will be enforced based on their shipping address automatically.

Hope this helps!

Cole Atkinson | Product @ Shopify
0 Likes
JeffW
Shopify Partner
5 0 3

Hi Cole,

If I understand correctly, if I wanted to set a specific price per website then we would need to be on the Advanced or Plus plan, and on the Shopify plan you can only set an exchange rate and price adjustment per country?

Also does this work with other payment providers or only Shopify Payments? We have websites on different domains for several countries (.de, .es. .fr) and we would like to offer local payment methods. But for example Shopify Payments doesn't offer SOFORT for merchants outside of Germany while other providers like Stripe and Mollie do.

0 Likes
HymnZ
Shopify Partner
389 5 50

@JeffW it only works if you use "Shopify Payments". It doesn't work for any 3rd party payment gateway.

My speciality lies in making Shopify work for your requirements, not the other way round. HMU on email: hymnz@outlook.com or on skype: hymnzzy

If you like my work, consider supporting me :) https://www.buymeacoffee.com/hymnz
Mainsky
Tourist
3 0 1

Hi Cole,

May I know how the international pricing work in the shipping setting?

my website base currency price is in GBP.

For example, if I would offer free shipping to US/Canada on all orders above 60 usd

and free shipping to Europe countries on orders above 50 Euro

How would I set this in the shipping setting for International checkout via Shopify payment?

Look forward to hearing from you soon.

Regards,

Vincent.L

0 Likes