2020-04 is the latest stable API Version but no version in URL yields 2019-04 response

Solved
rkazokas
Tourist
8 0 3

According to the Shopify documentation, if you don't specify a version it uses the latest stable version, which at the time of this writing should be 2020-04. However we recently made a change that just defaults it to null since our SDK supports the latest stable version, we noticed that pagination stopped working. It looks like when we stopped specifying a version, it was using 2019-04 which did not have the link headers where we are looking to see if there is another page. 
After inspecting the headers, I noticed that the X-Shopify-API-Version is returning a year old API. Screen Shot 2021-03-24 at 6.07.44 PM.png

I see otherwise documented on this page that this API should have been unsupported a year ago. 
https://shopify.dev/concepts/about-apis/versioning

Is this expected behavior? Is it different for private vs public apps? Any information would help out here.

0 Likes
syf_
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
89 20 15

This is an accepted solution.

@rkazokas I believe this blog post shares some more insight on this.

syf_ | Developer Support @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit Shopify.dev or the Shopify Web Design and Development Blog

0 Likes
rkazokas
Tourist
8 0 3

Thanks @syf_ . This statement right here probably describes what happened.

When COVID-19 started, we decided to indefinitely postpone API version deprecations for private apps

Prior to the changes, we made recently we were specifying the version on some endpoints. However, I thought private apps already functioned the same way as public apps for versioning, so we thought removing the version would be fine until we decided which version we'd want to support. Thanks for providing insight on that. I figured private apps were working differently but just couldn't find any documentation that they were.

0 Likes