304 redirect to /auth following Shopify request to "redirect_url" specified in billing parameters

Highlighted
Excursionist
14 1 2

:)  1.  When a user accepts my billing terms, I send out a request to "/admin/recurring_application_charges.json"

:)  2.  My app sends a redirect to confirmation_url extracted from the response body.

:)  3.  The user is presented with my billing terms and clicks Accept

:(  4.  Shopify does its thing, and eventually sends a request to my App using my specified return_url, but the request status is redirected to /auth.

Im using verifyRequest from koa-shopify-auth, and kao-sessions for my sessions middleware.  I've got session configured to use a redisStore.

While monitoring my redis server during APP installation, I see the session id, shop, and accessToken being setex

However when the request is made to return_url, there's a different session id sent.  I see redis try to access a non existent session id.  Shop then is undefined and verifyRequest middleware fails.  I suspect his is what's causing the redirect to /auth.

Is this correct behavior to send a different session id in the return_url request than what was registered during app installation?  

If so, how should i verify requests coming in on return_url?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
14 1 2

Meant to say 302 redirect instead of 304 redirect in Subject

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
14 1 2

Here is my solution:

Initial Steps

1.  make the fetch with required billing options in the request body:

`https://${shop}/admin/recurring_application_charges.json`

2.  Save the shop and charge_id from the response to my backend database.

3.  redirect to the confirmation_url extracted from the response.

Work Around

When the shop owner is presented with the confirmation page and accepts, Shopify redirects to the return_url established earlier, BUT without any credentials (as you mentioned above).  This fails verifyRequest middleware and redirects the shop owner to my authentication endpoint. 

4.  To avoid this I appended the shop and hmac to the return_url in my recurring_appplication_charge json body defined earlier, and I removed verification of the router intercepting requests to return_url in my app.  My return url looked something like this:

`https://${return_url}?hmac=${hmac}&shop=${shop}`

5.  Redirects to return_url can now get intercepted by the corresponding router.  I use the charge_id appended to the query string by Shopify and the shop to identify and update billing state on my backend.  I have not yet tried this, but I suppose you can manually verify the request with the using the hmac in the verification string.

7.  Once billing state on my backend is taken care of, I use the shop parameter in the query string and the SHOPIFY_API_KEY to redirect the user to my embedded app page.

`https://${shop}/admin/apps/${SHOPIFY_API_KEY}`

Any feedback on this approach would be appreciated. 

Lingering Q's

• Why would i be getting a different session ID on the return_url redirect?
  • Also, according to the documentation, every request and redirect made by Shopify should include hmac in the query string. Any reason why its not being included with the return_url redirect?

0 Likes